Stef's Reviews > Death by Black Hole: And Other Cosmic Quandaries

Death by Black Hole by Neil deGrasse Tyson

Dec 18, 10

bookshelves: audiobook, science, nonfiction, essays
Read in December, 2010

Collection of essays from Tyson's column in Natural History magazine, about physics, astronomy, and the history of science. There's a lot of repetition among the essays. The essays vary in the level of knowledge needed to follow them, but most are fairly basic. I learned some stuff though. Toward the end of the book Tyson wanders off into commentary about religion, culture, and politics. I was quite amused by his ranting about the scientific inaccuracies of movies, but I found his comments on religion vs. science were sadly simplistic, even though I share many of his opinions on the subject.

I would have given this book three stars, but I added a star because Dion Graham's narration added tremendously to my enjoyment of the material. It's really impressive to hear a science book being narrated with a wide range of emotion. I read a number of reviews on another site that complained about the narration, but learning about science is exciting for me, and I like it when the narration complements that.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death by Black Hole.