Brittany's Reviews > The Blue Sword

The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley

Jan 07, 11

bookshelves: yafantasy
Read on January 06, 2011

I read this book for the first time in junior high. I know that because I can remember finding it on the dark wooden shelves as a battered hardback, gleaming slightly in overcast light from the skylights above. I absolutely adored this book. It's one of the first fantasy books I ever read, and one that got me started on the genre. Frankly, it's all Harry Crewe's fault. She (and a handful of other heroines including Cimorene, Eilonwy, and Sophie Hatter,) was independent, funny, a bit different than everyone around her, and trying to find her place.

I reread this book with some trepidation; I've recently realized that not all the books I idolized as a teen are actually worthy of idolization. This one certainly has its weak spots. It gets off to a very slow start, and the plot meanders quire a bit. However, it's the kind of meandering I tend to find enjoyable, so I won't count that against it. The dialog is wooden at times, and never more so than when people are declaring their undying love for each other. Some of the characters (I'm thinking of Terim and Senlay) were under-drawn and under-utilized. There's a bit of a deux de machina at the end.

But overall, it's still the story, and the book, I loved back in junior high. Harry is just as much fun to hang out with, her horse and cat are just as wonderfully developed and cool, and the plot is just as absorbing. This is on my short list for books to pass on to the next generation.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blue Sword.

Quotes Brittany Liked

Robin McKinley
“[Harry] had always suffered from a vague restlessness, a longing for adventure that she told herself severely was the result of reading too many novels when she was a small child.”

Robin McKinley
“What was she to say? "The prodigal has returned? The mutineer wishes to be reinstated? The subordinate, having gone to a great deal of trouble to prove her commander wrong, has come back and promises to be a good little subordinate hereafter, or at least until next time?”

Robin McKinley
“Tsornin's nostrils showed red, but his ears were as alert as ever, and occasionally he would rub his nose gently against the nape of her neck, just in case she was momentarily not thinking about him.”

Robin McKinley
“Sungold blew impatiently and began to dig a hole with one foot. She booted his elbow with her toe and he stopped, but after a moment he lowered his head and blew again, harder, and she could feel him shifting his weight, considering if she might let him dig just a small hole.”

01/06/2011 page 65