Alisha Marie's Reviews > With Good Behavior

With Good Behavior by Jennifer Lane

Dec 18, 2010

bookshelves: first-reads, books-i-own-that-i-ve-read, chick-lit, crime-novel
Read in December, 2010

In the full interest of disclosure, I'm going to say this: I am so not a romance fan. The only way I even remotely get into romance is if it's Chick-Lit, Young-Adult, or fanfiction. But most of the time, I stay away from the actual entitled "romance" books. However, I used to lurk in fanfiction circles and that's how I learned about With Good Behavior and decided to try to win it on First Reads. Luckily for me, I did because it absolutely did not disappoint.

First things first: I loved Grant. Yes, I did! I wanted my own McSailor. He was just so sweet and loyal and hot (my imagination can do wonders, thank you very much!). Sigh. Now that I got that out of the way, let me continue with the other characters: Sophie was actually a smart heroine. That's one of my pet peeves since other romance books I've read (Twilight, Loyalty's Web, Companions of the Night) tend to start out with a smart heroine and then proceed to make her lose many IQ points when she meets a hot guy. But maybe it's because Sophie didn't start out on that high pedestal (she was just released from prison, after all), but she didn't completely irk me. Again, she was intelligent and pretty kick-ass in her own right. Plus, she retained that fiery spark even after she met McSailor and didn't go all submissive-like. Oh, and I loved the fact that she was a psychologist since I'm currently doing my undergrad in psychology.

But I absolutely loved and adored the supporting characters (I'm a supporting characters slut! I tend to love them all more than the actual main characters). Roger might've been my favorite just because he brought the funny. I was seriously laughing out loud every time he appeared on the page. I also liked Jerry Stone with his heart of gold no matter how hard he tried to hide it. I also loved Sophie's relationship with Kirsten (I'm a sucker for a good female friendship in fiction). All of the supporting characters were made of win!

My absolute favorite part of With Good Behavior was that it was action-packed. It wasn't just a romance and wasn't all "I LOVE YOU." "NO! I LOVE YOU, MORE!" There was an actual plot that was filled with twists, turns, and a whole lot of suspense. From what little I've read of other novels in the romance and chick-lit genre, this seems to be more unique. Now, I've categorized With Good Behavior as chick-lit only because the thought of creating a "Romance" shelf and have this book all lonely within it made me break out into hives (not really, but it made me supremely uncomfortable. I'm weird that way...), but it's actually way more angsty than chick-lit and should go in a romance shelf (if it were any other person, but me that is), as well as a crime/mystery shelf.

Anyway, the point of this semi-coherent and very rambling review is to say that I completely recommend With Good Behavior. It was a romance with a lot more genres packed into it. It was also a really feel-good kind of story and may be one of the only romances I may like. I'm not going to go around yelling that romance is my fave genre anytime soon, but this one didn't make me want to poke my eyes out with a Twizzler. So, it was really pretty much full of win.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read With Good Behavior.

12/21/2010 page 100
24.39% "Hehe. Grant's gotta be the most adorable drunken guy ever..."

message 1: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Lane I actually mailed if off today so you should get it soon! :)

message 2: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Lane Glad you're enjoying drunkard Grant, Alisha. ;) I see the book arrived safe and sound!

message 3: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Lane Alisha, your review made me laugh! Don't worry, I wouldn't be able to stomach the "I LOVE YOU!" and "NO, I LOVE YOU MORE!" for an entire novel either, ha ha. I was a little nervous when I read in your profile that you can't stand romance, but I'm very happy that you avoided a twizzler eye injury because I want you to be able to read the sequel Bad Behavior that comes out in March. Let's just say that Rog *might* fall off the diet wagon, and some other fun and criminal suspense will ensue. Thanks so much for the great review and recommending WGB to other readers!

Alisha Marie Yeah, normally I'm not into romance books, but I'm very conscious of the fact that there are gems and duds in every genre. So every once in a while, I try to get out of my comfort zone and read something that I'm not too sure about in the hopes that I'll find a great book underneath. With Good Behavior was definitely one of those books.

I also did a little "YAY!" dance when I heard about the sequel. Can't wait to read it once it's released.

Anne OK Great review for a new book I simply could not put down! Kudos to Jennifer Lane for a marvelously refreshing new suspense-packed read with wonderful new characters to cheer on to a Happy Ever After. The secondary cast is one of the best I've seen in a long time.

And High Fives to Alisha for a fantastic review!

Lori You both have intrigued me!! But then my balloon deflated when I checked the website for our library system....they don't have the book. Ugh! Need to check B & N. Fingers Crossed.