Tara's Reviews > Faery Tale: One Woman's Search for Enchantment in a Modern World

Faery Tale by Signe Pike

Mar 24, 11

bookshelves: memoirs, travelogues, outdoor

This was a memoir/travelogue that I didn't want to end - I wish I was still reading it!

You don't have to believe in faeries to be drawn into the spell of Signe Pike's frolicking memoir. Stifled by the concrete jungle of Manhattan, Pike embarks on a journey to England, Ireland, the Isle of Man (in the middle of the Irish Sea) and Scotland, in search of magical faery realms. With equal parts skepticism and childlike wonder, Pike welcomes the unknown and allows her "faery journalism" to guide her to the people and places radiating enchantment.

Her warmth, curiosity and sense of humor make for the perfect travel companion. Moments of levity (calling on the faeries to guide her through her first British roundabout) are balanced by faith and trust (when a four-year-old's innocence and instinct help to reveal an ancient faery bridge.) And as much as Faery Tale is a whimsical adventure, it's also an emotional journey as Pike shares the challenge of coping with her father's death and reconciling the complicated figure he was in her life.

Only by examining the forgotten world of faeries can Pike reclaim what she'd lost: a deep connection with herself, the earth and every living thing around her. Her travels offer a perfect antidote for our collective "emotional deforestation" - the loss of magic and innocence - that had been gnawing at her. "My biggest fear is that if we continue to stifle this loss, half the people on the planet will forget what their forest even looked like in the first place," she writes.

With wit, wisdom and eyes wide open to a sentient world, Pike challenges us to listen to our intuition, tune in to the earth and ultimately, believe in that which we can't always prove.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Faery Tale.