Shanan's Reviews > Beat the Band

Beat the Band by Don Calame

Dec 18, 10

Read in December, 2010

Beat the Band is an excellent sequel to Swim the Fly. The characters seem to come alive even more as we see them through a second crazy plan. Initially, I found Cooper to be a hard narrator to support. His views, particularly of the girls in his class, really started to get under my skin. I realize part of that is that the reader is brought inside the mind of a teenage boy, but I initially found Cooper more irritating in that regard.

But I was so glad at the end that I stuck with it because Cooper learned so much more about himself, girls, and life, and it was great to see the end of that journey. However, one thing I appreciate about Don Calame's writing is that the message is there but it is not overdone.

My heart went out to the Helen Harriwick who was teased, not because of anything that she really did, but because of rumors started by other people who were upset with her. It really reminded me of the parts of high school that I do not miss. I do hope that Don Calame addresses Helen's story again in the next installment. I don't expect the teasing to suddenly stop because that is not realistic, but I do hope it gets better for Helen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beat the Band.