Bianca St. 's Reviews > Last Sacrifice

Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead

Mar 26, 11

bookshelves: favorites, book-boyfriends
Read from December 31, 2010 to March 24, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I wanted to give this book 1 star because Richelle made my favourite character leave with a heartbreak. WE WANT MORE OF ADRIAN, RICHELLE!! I loved him so much and Rose leaves him telling him they aren't in sync?! What the hell?!?!?! Once again for everyone who didn't get it yet: I LOVE ADRIAN!!!
I still couldn't bring myself to not give this book 5 stars. The plot was great, the character development is amazing... The book itself is absolutely amazing. I have no words. I just hoped that when Rose jumped to protect Lissa (I figured sth like that would happen) Dimitri would jump to save her and it would be a noble "I love you, Rose" kind of death. And she would still love him in the bottom of her heart and never forget him but she would be with Adrian and everyone (meaning especially me) would be happy.
But noooo! Richelle Mead had other plans in her mind. *sigh* I just hope we'll get more of Adrian in the spin off series.
Well... I'll just read/write more fanfiction about Adrian and forget the horrible ending.
Oh My Gosh!!! I still can't believe he left (Yeah, I'm a crazy fangirl)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Sacrifice.

Quotes Bianca Liked

Richelle Mead
“Ah, my daughter,ʺ he said. ʺEighteen, and already youʹve been accused of murder, aided felons, and acquired a death count higher than most guardians will ever see.ʺ He paused. ʺI couldnʹt be prouder.”

Richelle Mead
“What the hell?" I asked. Is this daring escape being sponsored by Honda?”

Richelle Mead
“From behind Lissa, I heard Christian say, "Worst. Timing. Ever." Adrian studied Lissa and then looked at Christain sprawling on the bed on the far side of the suite.
"Huh," Adrian said, letting himself in. "So that's how you're going to fix the family problem. Little Dragomirs. Good idea." Christian sat up and strolled toward them.
"Yeah, that's exactly it. You're interrupting official Council business.”

Richelle Mead
“Abe held my gaze a bit longer and then broke into an easy smile. ʺOf course, of course. This is a family gathering. A celebration. And look: hereʹs our newest member.ʺ

Dimitri had joined us and wore black and white like my mother and me. He stood beside me, conspicuously not touching. ʺMr. Mazur,ʺ he said formally, nodding a greeting to both of them. ʺGuardian Hathaway.ʺ

Dimitri was seven years older than me, but right then, facing my parents, he looked like he was sixteen and about to pick me up for a date.

ʺAh, Belikov,ʺ said Abe, shaking Dimitriʹs hand. ʺIʹd been hoping weʹd run into each other. Iʹd really like to get to know you better. Maybe we can set aside some time to talk, learn more about life, love, et cetera. Do you like to hunt? You seem like a hunting man. Thatʹs what we should do sometime. I know a great spot in the woods. Far, far away. We could make a day of it. Iʹve certainly got a lot of questions Iʹd like to ask you. A lot of things Iʹd like to tell you too.ʺ

I shot a panicked look at my mother, silently begging her to stop this. Abe had spent a good deal of time talking to Adrian when we dated, explaining in vivid and gruesome detail exactly how Abe expected his daughter to be treated. I did not want Abe taking Dimitri off alone into the wilderness, especially if firearms were involved.

ʺActually,ʺ said my mom casually. ʺIʹd like to come along. I also have a number of questions—especially about when you two were back at St. Vladimirʹs.ʺ

ʺDonʹt you guys have somewhere to be?ʺ I asked hastily. ʺWeʹre about to start.ʺ

That, at least, was true. Nearly everyone was in formation, and the crowd was quieting. ʺOf course,ʺ said Abe. To my astonishment, he brushed a kiss over my forehead before stepping away. ʺIʹm glad youʹre back.ʺ Then, with a wink, he said to Dimitri:

ʺLooking forward to our chat.ʺ

ʺRun,ʺ I said when they were gone. ʺIf you slip out now, maybe they wonʹt notice. Go back to Siberia."

"Actually," said Dimitri, "I'm pretty sure Abe would notice. Don't worry, Roza. I'm not afraid. I'll take whatever heat they give me over being with you. It's worth it.”

Richelle Mead
“I don’t belong to anyone. I make my own choices."
"And you’re with Adrian," said Dimitri.
"But I was meant for you.”

Richelle Mead
“What?" I asked uneasily. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

He shook his head, the smile rueful now. "Because sometimes, a person can get so caught up in the details that they miss the whole. It's not just the dress or the hair. It's YOU. You're beautiful. So beautiful, it hurts me.”

Richelle Mead
“I always love seeing what worries you. Strigoi? No. Questionable food? Yes.”

“Who is he?"
"An idiot, said Adrian. "Makes me look like an upstanding member of society.”

Richelle Mead
“I wasn't fooled. He was avoiding looking at me. "There's nothing to talk about."
"I knew you'd say that. Actually, it was a toss-up between that and 'I don't know what you're talking about.'"
Dimitri sighed.”

Richelle Mead
“What’s going on?” he demanded.
“The usual, old man,” I replied cheerily. “Danger, insane plans... you know, the stuff that runs in our family.”

Richelle Mead
“You were wrong. She really is the new general in town."
I smiled back, hoping he wasn't aware of my body's reaction to us standing so close. "Maybe. But, it's okay. You can still be colonel."
He arched an eyebrow. "Oh? Did you demote yourself? Colonel's right below general. What's that make you?"
I reached into my pocket and triumphantly flashed the CR-V keys I'd swiped when we'd come back inside. "The driver," I said.”

Richelle Mead
“Auras tell a lot, Rose, and I'm very good at reading them. Much better than you friends probably are. A spirit dream wraps you own aura in gold, which is how I knew. Your personal aura is unique to you, though it fluctuates with your feelings and soul. When people are in love, it shows. Their auras shine. When you were dreaming, yours was bright. The colors were bright...but not what expected from a boyfriend. Of course, not every relationship is the same. People are at different stages. I would've brushed it off, except..."
"Except what?"
"Except, when you're with Dimitri, your aura's like the sun. So is his.”

Richelle Mead
“Sex had been amazing, but it wasn't a magical cure for everything. Damn. Somewhere along the way, I'd picked up common sense.”

Richelle Mead
“Rose, I'm an addict with no work ethic who is likely going to go insane. I'm not like you. I'm not a super-hero."
"Not yet," I said.”

Richelle Mead
“There was a look of woe on his face that was almost comical. Raids, bullets, criminals...no problem. A missing duster? Crisis.”

Richelle Mead
“You managed to get him a duster, but you couldn't find me a pair of jeans?”

Richelle Mead
“For a moment, I was captivated as I studied them side by side. My mother: the perfect picture of guardian excellence and decorum. My father: always capable of achieving his goals, no matter how twisted the means. Uneasily, I began to understand how I’d inherited my bizarre personality.”

Richelle Mead
“Wait until next time," he warned. "I'll do things that'll make you lose control within seconds.”

Richelle Mead
“Don't blame us," said my mother. "We didn't blow up half of Court, steal a dozen cars, call out a murderer in the middle of a crowd, or get our teenage friend crowned queen."

"Actually," said Abe, "I did blow up half of Court.”

Richelle Mead
“Same plan," agreed Dimitri. "You go to the house. You look less threatening."
"Hey!"
He smiled. "I said look.

Richelle Mead
“I loved you!" he yelled. He jumped up out of his chair so quickly I never saw it coming. "I loved you, and you destroyed me. You took my heart and ripped it up.”

Richelle Mead
“Adrian opened his mouth, undoubtedly ready with some inappropriate and mocking comment. Lissa gave him a sharp headshake that kept him quiet. "Aren't there any, I don't know, sleeveless options?"

The saleswoman's eyes widened. "No one has ever worn straps to a funeral. It wouldn't be right."

"What about shorts?" asked Adrian. "Are they okay if they're with a tie? Because that's what I was gonna go with."

The woman looked horrified.”

“I want your opinion.ʺ
ʺThat,ʺ Adrian said, ʺis not something I hear a lot.ʺ”

Richelle Mead
“I bet you never thought the hardest part of finding your ‘saviorʹ would be getting her mom to let her stay out past curfew.”

Richelle Mead
“Cool,” I said. “You can IM with the Council from campus. Maybe you can command people to do your homework.”

Richelle Mead
“Roza, my self-control is ten times stronger than yours."
I opened my eyes, shifting to look into his. I brushed his hair back and smiled, certain my heart would expand and expand until there was nothing left of me.
"Oh yeah? That's not the impression I just got."
"Wait until next time," he warned. "I'll do things that'll make you lose control within seconds.”

Richelle Mead
“My life didnʹt need to be on the line for me to enjoy dessert.”

Richelle Mead
“I need you,ʺ said Lissa.
ʺI hear that from women a lot,ʺ said Adrian.”

Richelle Mead
“She was right about something else too," Dimitri said after a long pause. My back was to him, but there was a strange quality to his voice that made me turn around.
"What's that?" I asked.
"That I do still love you."
With that one sentence, everything in the universe changed.”

Richelle Mead
“Sometimes talking to you is like talking to myself: pretty damned annoying.”

Richelle Mead
“It was the most convulted, ridiculous piece of logic I'd heard in awhile... It was something I would have come up with.”

Richelle Mead
“She probably gave up and started playing Minesweeper."

[...]

We reached the cafe and found Sydney bent over her laptop, with a barely eaten Danish and what was probably her fourth cup of coffee. We slid into seats beside her.
"How's it—hey! You ARE playing Minesweeper!”

Richelle Mead
“You have an interesting set of morals," he observed. "Breaking out of jail is okay. But steal a car, and you sound totally outraged.”

Richelle Mead
“I loved you!” he yelled. He jumped up out of his chair so quickly I never saw it coming. “I loved you, and you destroyed me. You took my heart and ripped it up. You might as well have staked me!” The change in his features also caught me by surprise. His voice filled the room. So much grief, so much anger. So unlike the usual Adrian. He strode toward me, hand clasped over his chest. “I. Loved. You. And you used me the whole time.”

Richelle Mead
“Boy is he pissed," said Adrian.
"Do you blame him?" asked Christian. "He just lost memerbship in the evil mastermind club. His brilliant plan fell apart, and now his daughter's missing when he thought she was somewhere safe."
Adrian stayed pointedly silent.”

Richelle Mead
“What's going on?" he asked, looking from face to face. "I was having a good dream."
"I need you," said Lissa.
"I hear that from women a lot," said Adrian.
Christian made a gagging sound, but the faintest glimmer of a smile crossed Eddie's lips, despite his otherwise tough guardian-stance.”

Richelle Mead
“ʺThings are going to get worse before they get better, arenʹt they?ʺ”

03/16/2011 page 30
03/21/2011 page 205
35.0% "so little time for reading :(( I'm so busy and this book's so great!"
show 5 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Corina_dana33 Look at the good side Bee, you will see more of Adrian in the spin off series.Besides,I think Adrian is wayyyy to good for Rose.Maybe Syd will deserve him.I cant wait for Bloodlines to appear ,more Adrian then ever.

Bianca St. I tottaly agree with you: Adrian is way to good for Rose. I didn't know there will be more of Adrian in the spin off series, I just hoped. I knew for sure it was going to be about Sydney but Adrian and Sydney together does sound kind of good. :D Adrian with his arogant attitude. Sydney with her prejudices against vampires. Oh My Gosh! Sounds amazing!!
I can't wait for the book to appear. XD

Bianca St. Holy cow! I just saw the cover from Blodlines! I'm still in shock!!!
=))

Corina_dana33 Richelle said that in Bloodlines the main male character will be someone from VA.I mean,the only one who is unhappy at the end of Last Sacrifice is Adrian.The moment I read the break-up scene I knew its going to be him.But she also said that the story is going to be at a human highschool.How the heck does Adrian end up there.He's in college.Anyway it's going to be soo good to see Syd fall for a Moroi.Adrian is a bad boy and you know good girls fall for them.I did too.Who doesn't love Adrian?

Bianca St. Gosh! Thank you for the amazing news! THANKS! You just made my day!