Donald's Reviews > Audition

Audition by Ryū Murakami

Jan 06, 11

bookshelves: 2011, goodreads-giveaways
Read on January 05, 2011

A Goodreads giveaway winner (on 12-17-2010)! The write-up for this book sounds great.

I read this in two sittings; it comes in at 191 pages. The pacing in this one seems spot-on and the character development of Aoyama is pretty well rounded. Aoyama is the main character.

The secondary character, Yamasaki Asami, comes off as an alluringly beautiful cardboard cutout. The reader is never really set up to care about her. The fault lies with the strict adherence of perspective. We never get to see her through anyone else's eyes other than Aoyama's; or anything through her eyes. So we never really get to know her and therefore care about her.

Getting past that issue of character development wasn't too hard because the author is great at description, putting the emotion of a new love right into the reader's head. We feel, right away, that sense of love-at-first-sight. Aoyama is thoroughly infatuated with Yamasaki Asami and love is blind.

We are given some idea that things are not quite right with Yamasaki Asami by virtue of what others tell Aoyama. In the end, Yamasaki calls Aoyama a liar repeatedly. It starts at the hotel after they consummate the relationship which is quite a hot scene that is well written and not cheapened at all. Nice balance there.

But what she is calling in to question with the 'liar' bit eluded me and therefore acted as a speed-bump in the reading. I suppose it might have been the audition itself, but it was left as a sort of vague idea. He wronged her and now she wants to hurt him is all that matters and let's get on with the show.

And boy does she ever. The author had me squirming uncomfortably at the end with his written descriptions of how things played out.

The 'liar' plot point wasn't done well enough, and Yamasaki Asami's personality needed to be fleshed out a bit better. But the rest of the story was pretty cool; coming off as a love story right up to the end. Audition is a great read to see how a story like this can work, in spite of it's flaws.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Audition.