Misha 's Reviews > Starless Sky

Starless Sky by Agnew Paige Agnew

Dec 18, 2010

it was ok
Read from February 12 to 15, 2011

Starless Sky is the story of Kahlen who has lost her best friend, Emma. She's overcome with grief, unable to move on. She retreats into herself and is no longer able to connect to others. Her parents are worried about her and think she needs help. Her grades are dropping and she's tired of being pitied by her friends. The only place she can find peace is Dean's Creek. This is where she meets Kennley. Will Kahlen be able to open up to him? Will she be able to move beyond her grief of losing her closest friend? Kennley has a past of his own. How will Kahlen deal with it?

Starless Sky portrays Kahlen's journey as she deals with the heartbreak of losing someone so close to her. The book gives a powerful message that it's possible to move on from the worst that life gives you. Even though you might feel that you can never love anyone again, grief never lasts if we really try and open up to others.

I have never experienced something like this in my life. However, I could imagine how I would feel if I lost a friend - lost, confused, closed-up and heartbroken, just like Kahlen. All this has been depicted beautifully in Starless Sky. This is what makes the book so real and sad.

The fact that the author wrote the book at the age of 15 is impressive. She was able to capture all the emotions when you lose someone so well that it's hard to believe she was so young when she wrote Starless Sky. Kahlen is a very believable character. The way she behaves following the loss is real and relatable. You understand and feel for her.

The book is not without flaws. There are some scenes that are unnecessarily long and detailed. It gets monotonous quite a few times. Further, the secondary characters seem very bland and one-dimensional. I couldn't feel anything for them. I really wanted to feel something for Kennley since he's one of the main protagonists. Unfortunately, that didn't happen.

However, these flaws really don't matter when you take into account how young the author was when she wrote the book and how well she has captured pain and loss, despite her age. This is a book for all YA contemporary fiction fans. Paige Agnew is an author to look out for.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starless Sky.

02/15/2011 page 20