Chris Freeman's Reviews > Blockade Billy

Blockade Billy by Stephen King

Dec 18, 10

Read from December 17 to 18, 2010

This book is actually two long-ish short stories. First, the story that carries the book's title. Ostensibly a book about major league baseball in the 1950's, it's an 80 page read that goes down even faster than that. The baseball detail is entertaining for the baseball fan (like me) but the "King-esqe" touch on the story felt like King might have been watching a Red Sox game while he wrote it: not terribly creative for a man who has written some of my favorite stories of all time. Still, as a way to kill an hour, reading Blockade Billy was more fun than watching my favorite team miss the playoffs for the past five years.

The second, shorter story is "Morality". It clocks in at fifty pages. This story of second-hand sin bought and paid for in cash delivers more of the typical level of emotion that King on his better days normally delivers. There's too much to give away for the person who has not yet read the story but suffice it to say that I finished the story feeling both anxious and sad. And yes, when you enjoy an author like King, that is a normal outcome.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blockade Billy.