Cat Russell (Addicted2Heroines)'s Reviews > This Side of the Grave

This Side of the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

Feb 27, 11

bookshelves: highly-recommend, favorites
Read from February 23 to 24, 2011

"... it's you and me until the stars burn out."

Oh how I love you Cat and Bones. I've missed you so.

This book had a slow start, but was still really good . . . not amazingly good like the others, but I enjoyed it. It was definitely the funniest, in my opinion. I can't tell you how many times I laughed out loud. How could you not laugh at this -

"Premature inflamulation," he replied. "Happens sometimes. Very embarrassing, I don't like to talk about it".

or this

"He just grabbed the ghoul by his other arm and began thumping him over the head with the loose limb. I'd heard Bones threaten to beat someone with their own limb before, but I'd always assumed that was a figure of speech. Apparently not."

I was cracking up imagining what it looked like when Cat did her raging bull impression on that tombstone. She's crazy and I wouldn't want it any other way.
But the absolute best moment for me was the ending when she became the center of attention and decided to make her declaration.

"..step right up and see if I don't eat the hell out of you next!"

"That's not . . . I meant eat them in a bad way," I sputtered.

AHAHAHA! Thank you for the entertainment Jeaniene!

"i kill u" =) LMAO
5 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Side of the Grave.

02/24/2011 page 88
25.0% "When does the fun begin???"
02/24/2011 page 168
47.0% "This has been funny so far, but not exciting." 2 comments

message 1: by jD (new) - rated it 3 stars

jD What did you make of that opening scene in the cave? I am still trying to figure out how it fit with the rest of the book...And yes, very funny but not the best installment. I agree with you.

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) Hmm.. I don't know. I didn't really put much thought into it. Maybe she was just showing how far they have come in their relationship since being tied up in that cave is where it all began.
I wasn't really crazy about the book at first, but then it started to grow on me. Maybe I set my expectations too high. I was also a little disappointed with the "bad guy". He was never actually present so I didn't have a chance to hate him (if that makes sense). It's like when Gregor was defeated I thought "HA, take that you evil bastard!", but when Apollyon went down I didn't really care all that much.

Mariya my least favorite in the series. I hope the next book is better though. Loved Vlad parts a lot. I can't wait for his book XD

message 4: by jD (new) - rated it 3 stars

jD It hurt but I gave it 3 stars. My love is not free and that book didn't do too many things for me. Yes my expectations were high but I did not make the bar, the series did.

message 5: by Mariya (last edited Feb 26, 2011 08:48AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mariya It killed me to give it 3 stars. UGH. I never in a million years thought I would give a Cat and Bones book a 3 stars.

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) "I did not make the bar, the series did."

Too true.
It may have just been me but I never really felt like Cat was in any real danger. That first moment with Marie was a little tense, but that was about it.

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) Mariya wrote: "my least favorite in the series. I hope the next book is better though. Loved Vlad parts a lot. I can't wait for his book XD"

I'm a little worried about Vlad's book because I love him and I don't think anyone will be good enough for him ;)

Mariya I'm very curious about the lucky lady. Can't wait til we get more info on the book.

message 9: by jD (new) - rated it 3 stars

jD Ian is my fav. I think she will have quite the time hooking him up. I think she did good with Spade and Denise but Mercheres and Kira, not so much. I loved the book overall but thought Mercheres could do better. Vlad better get someone hot and a little crazy.

message 10: by Mariya (last edited Feb 26, 2011 08:50AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mariya I thought that Mencheres and Kira were a great pair and I love them, but Spade and Denise not. It felt like Denise was just there and she threw those two characters together.

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) I'm probably alone in this, but while Cat has some excellent talents, I'm most impressed by what Denise can do. I mean, come on, you can cut her head off without killing her and she can take on other people's appearances. That's pretty awesome.

Maybe Ian and Veritas hook up? It seems like she would be a challenge for him.

Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews::: I agree about Denise's powers..that's pretty awesome! Ian and Veritas...if they hook up, that will be interesting!

message 13: by jD (new) - rated it 3 stars

jD I am so hoping Ian and Veritas hookup. She would give him a run for his money.

Marcella Great review Cat! Very well put and I loved your quotes.

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) Thank you! I honestly had a hard time choosing them. There were too many good ones.

Marcella I know what you mean. One of my favorites was when he told Ed, the vampire, not to think because he may hurt himself. That one had me LOL!