Between the Covers's Reviews > Mockingjay

bookshelves: dystopian, young-adult
Read in September, 2010

Louise's Review:

*Spoiler free review*

I need to start out saying I’m still reeling from this book. My mind is still processing this story, and I think I will continue to do so for some time.

This book is an action packed emotional roller coaster ride from the first page. It tells the story from Katniss’ perspective, and through her eyes we see the courage and fear, hope and despair, kindness and cruelty that exist during a civil war. We see the struggle of this young girl who’s been forced by circumstance and the world in which she lives to grow up much to fast. We watch as she endeavors to fill her role as the figurehead of a rebellion. And we see the growth of this amazing female protagonist…especially her emotional growth.

I was appalled by the story premise of Hunger Games, but I loved the book. I was furious at the end of Catching Fire, but I loved the book. In Mockingjay, the conclusion to this trilogy, Suzanne Collins met all of my expectations with a story line I could never anticipate and a conclusion that left me in tears. Happy tears of pride. I love this book!

*scurries off to find ice cream…consumption is required to process book*

Christin's Review:

*Warning: This review does contain spoilers.*

Wow. That was the only thing I could think when I finished this book. Wow. When I closed the cover the first time, I was shaking. After rereading the ending, I was crying.

Mockingjay definitely had a different feeling than either Hunger Games or Catching Fire. It was darker, more haunting; and to me, it made a much bigger impact.

Whereas the previous two books were page-turners, full of chapter cliff-hangers and suspense, always leaving the reader wondering what happened next, Mockingjay drew me in differently. I stayed up until 3AM to finish this book, not because I had to know what happened next, but simply because I could not bear to stop reading.

I wasn't too surprised by the dark tone; it is, after all, a dystopian novel with a nation at war. I expected there to be hardship, suffering, torture, and deaths. But despite that, Collins still managed to surprise me with how all of the events played out.

To me, this book made a profound statement about life - about how you make decisions and come to terms with who you are. The awful irony of Prim's death - when everything occurred because Katniss wanted to keep Prim alive - reinforces the fact that sometimes no matter how much you try for something, you will fail. But what is important from that is to learn how to live with the consequences, just as Katniss had to learn how much she would allow others to change her essential self and why she truly belonged with Peeta. And while I'm not usually a fan of epilogues, I felt that this one really brought completeness: despite everything that had happened, life goes on.

I know that I will be rereading this book (and this whole series) and taking the time to really appreciate what Collins is saying about society and life.

"That's when I make a list in my head of every act of goodness I've seen someone do. It's like a game. Repetitive. Even a little tedious after more than twenty years.

But there are much worse games to play."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.