Between the Covers's Reviews > The Sevenfold Spell

The Sevenfold Spell by Tia Nevitt

Dec 17, 10

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in October, 2010

This book was not at all what I was expecting. I thought this book would show the characters of the Sleeping Beauty story in a new light and add more details and side stories. Instead, this seemed to be the story of self-discovery for Talia, the town harlot, with the Sleeping Beauty fairy tale woven loosely throughout it.

Once I adjusted my expectations, this story was enjoyable. Talia had a clear voice throughout the story, and it was interesting to see how certain events fit within the original fairy tale. The writing style was very consistent, and it was easy to believe that I was back in the "once upon a time" of fairy tales. Once the first couple of chapters were over and there weren't "steamy" scenes every other page, it was nice to be able to share in Talia's growth. The events leading up to the end were surprising and inventive. Because we all expect a happily-ever-after ending to fairy tales, it's always nice when there's an imaginative way to get there.

Overall, this novelette was a quick, enjoyable read. I'll be interested to read this author's upcoming fairy-tale retellings!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sevenfold Spell.