Elle's Reviews > City of Bones

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Dec 31, 10

bookshelves: first-of-series, 2010-read, books-to-movies, elles-reviews, fantasy-and-paranormal
Recommended to Elle by: Stephenie Meyer. Of all people.
Recommended for: StarWars fans. Just kidding... sort of...
Read from December 18 to 31, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

What the fek is a nephilim?

This book pissed me off. I liked it. But only after the first 330 pages.

The popularity of this series is astounding. I kind of get it. I do. I can see why the ladies digg Jace, (OK, so I digg him too... Did I just say 'Digg'? Twice?). He's the kind of boy who we loved to love in school. What with his arrogance and battle scars and everything. I might adore Jace more than the boy I actually did have a crush on in high school. (His name was Adam, BTW. And he was lustastic. I sneezed on him on the bus one day. True Story).

But man, this book confused me. There was just too much going on from the beggining that I didn't understand. Lycanthorpe? What's with the bizarro words? A glossary would have helped, I think.
The pace was faaaast, dude. By the 6th chapter I needed some down time. To take a breath. To recap on everything that had just happened to Clary. And was it just me, or did she seem overly blasé about it all? I mean, let's not worry about our kidnapped and could-be-getting-tortured mother when there is a GORGEOUS BOY in our midst, true?

*** MASSIVE SPOILERS ***

Oh, and let's not forget the fat slap in the face that was the 'I am your Father. And Clary is your sister' madness.
*hums the StarWars theme*

Having said all that, I DID enjoy Simon's awesomeness. I hope he sticks around because y'all know I just LOVE a good underdog.

Three stars:
One for Simons awesomeness.
One for Jace's baddassness.
And One for me, because I bought the box set and I want, née, NEED this series to be good so that I can keep on reading and get my money's worth. So I'm giving it an extra star in order to trick my brain into thinking the book is better than it actually is.

22 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Bones.

12/27/2010 page 75
15.0% "Déjà vu anyone?"
show 4 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Bianca I LOVE this series. How are you liking it so far>? :)

Elle Bianca wrote: "I LOVE this series. How are you liking it so far>? :)"

mmm. I really WANT to like it. But I'm struggling to get into it. I keep getting distracted by various other things, like the washing... and cupcakes.
But I'm trying!

Bianca Haha yes life does get in the way of reading sometimes. I hope you do like it, It took me a few chapters to love it but in the end I did.

Joyzi I love this series especially City of Glass

Bianca Same here, that was awesome. After the ending in City Of Ashes I had to have it the moment it came out. I LOVE this series. Can't wait for the next one :)

Megasaurus Hilarious. I'm almost done with the book and I don't get it either... but definitely digg Jace :)