Ellie's Reviews > The Guy Next Door

The Guy Next Door by Lori Foster

Dec 18, 10

bookshelves: family-series, shorty, arc
Read from December 17 to 18, 2010

As much as I'd love to, I can never meet Victoria Dahl in person. If I did, one of two things would happen: (1) I would get so overwhelmed that I'd crumble at her feet, overcome by laudable sobbing, or (2) I'd invade her personal space, shrieking hysterically and trying to hug her. Both cases would be resolved when security showed up to haul me away. All of that would be made worse by the fact that my luck dictated that the security personnel would be elderly grandfather-types who would call me 'Deary' and look nothing like the men I read about in these books.

Alas, I am limited to expressing my love for Dahl over the internet.

I love Dahl's contemporary work!!! I don't want to give anything away - but I've never seen anything like what she did in this short story. I absolutely loved reading it, I was completely absorbed in the characters and the setting. And I love how it ends.

I enjoy reading about two characters and watching their love as it develops from book to book. In purely romance novels, I haven't really found this - but I encountered it in the Mercy Thompson/Alpha and Omega series as well as the Lily Bard series. This is the first instalment of Eric and Beth's story and I love that! I can't wait to see what's happens next. But we'll all be waiting till November 2011 (which is cruel).

Anyway, Dalh's contribution was great and it looks like she has a good series cooking up for 2011. If it was a stand alone story I would rate it 5 stars.

I lost interest in Lori Foster's story. I felt like the story was going around in circles. The story took place over 2 days and was over 40% of this anthology (according to my kindle). It was sooo long. I would say 10% of the anthology too long. It's an OK concept but dragged on a bit with no real developments. A bit of a disappointment. But the first full book in Foster's new series is set up well in this short story. There is a lot of mystery surrounding the heroine's sister and I know I'll be lining up to read that book, so I suppose this short story served a purpose.

I have a Meh for Susan Donovan's story. I suppose it just didn't hit the spot for me because I just didn't care about the characters. But maybe I was just impatiently reading so I could get to Dahl's story. Who knows.

Bottom Line: read the book for Dahl, it's a great story.
8 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Guy Next Door.

34.0% "This Lori Foster story seems to be draging on for.ev.er. Lets resolve this and get engaged already (as most foster stories end)"
41.0% "Oh my. cliff hanger with this Molly character. Well done (in an annoying way) Lori Foster, now I am eagerly anticipating Molly's story."
41.0% "Oh wow. Lori Foster has a lot coming out next year. This book in March, then full stories in May, June and July. Wowzers."

BecksBookPicks i love victoria dahl and i have gotta read this one. I too would kiss her feet and worship her if I ever met her in person!

Ellie I follow her twitter. Some of the things she says .. my lady crush is only getting worse.
Your book shelf says that you've read but not rated this book. Did you like it?