Diana Welsch's Reviews > A Mess of Everything

Jan 05, 2011

bookshelves: graphic-novels
Recommended to Diana by: Wright Mier
Read from December 17, 2010 to January 05, 2011

This was really wonderful. It continues where the autobiographical Escape from "Special" left off. Melissa is about 14 when it starts, and probably 17 or 18 by the end. Each vignette is a few pages long, and once you get into the rhythm of it, the lack of an overarching plot won't bother you. This book is meant to capture moments and feelings.

And capture them it does. It was amazing. I was soooo this chick at this age, minus the drugs, understanding parents, and making out with boys. Our lives were so similar, and the moments she chose to capture in this comic were a lot of the same ones that I remember as being important and memorable. I had creepy friends that did bad things, and a running internal dialogue about how pointless my existence was. It just shows up so perfectly on the page.

Some of my favorites:

-Melissa's thoughts about wishing she could just stop existing without having to kill herself.
-Flirting with a boy, getting ratted on for harassment, and knowing he wouldn't have minded if she were pretty
-Calling out teachers on their bullshit assignments and getting told to shut up
-Having to continually "prove" you're cool
-Liking a guy but noticing that he's asked out all of your friends except you

It just perfectly captured the essence of how much it sucks to be a smart, ugly, artistic teenage girl. I loved it. A++++++ Thanks to Wright for lending it to me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Mess of Everything.