Nenia Campbell's Reviews > Little Earthquakes

Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner

2190064
Mar 06, 14

Read from December 17 to 18, 2010

This wasn't as chick-litty as I thought it was going to be. I liked the fact that the women were fairly normal-looking and had real problems that don't consist of "THAT HOT GUY DIDN'T SLEEP WITH ME ON THE FIRST DATE! HE MUST NOT LIKE ME!" or "I SPENT TOO MUCH MONEY ON CLOTHES!!" or "OH NO! FALSE IDENTITY!" Okay... well, maybe that last one kind of applies here, but luckily, it isn't the main focus of the story.

Little Earthquakes is about babies; the care of, the loss of, the problems of, the joys of. It's done in a "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" narrative style, switching from one woman to the next while weaving all their plots together. There's Kelly: the blond neurotic one, Ayinde: the rich, exotic, mysterious one, Lia/Lisa: the one with the past, and Becky: the heavyset one who is constantly feeling self-conscious around her "thinner", "prettier" friends.

The stereotypes were a little annoying.

And while Wiener executed them in a fairly believable way, along with probable explanations, I had to suspend my disbelief at several spots. I really think that the women's reaction to meeting Lia was unrealistic considering that she was a creepy stalker, stalking their children. Hell! The woman even creeps their HOUSE and starts listening against the door. And instead of being angry, Becky's like, "OH! Let's be friends! I have more friends with babies for you to stalk!!" And then they leave their children ALONE with her.

That seemed realllllllly unrealistic to me.

Also, during the end, I felt that a lot of the character development crumbled a little. Ayinde's reaction to a problem at the end seemed a little OOC. Ditto Becky's reaction to her mother-in-law's ultimatum. Her decision totally went against everything she'd been saying for the rest of the book. And then Lia's boyfriend meeting up with her at the end--I was honestly surprised. If I were him, I would have taken a bit more consideration about our relationship after all the lying and creepy baby-stalking. That's all I'm going to say about that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Earthquakes.