Kate's Reviews > The Espressologist

Dec 24, 10

it was ok
bookshelves: young-adult, romance, chick-lit
Read from December 23 to 24, 2010

The concept within this book, that people can be matched by their coffee shop drink preferences, is interesting and that's what got my attention upon checking this out from the library. However, I don't appreciate the author's execution of that concept.

The characters were both boring and immature. Jane doesn't have any problems in life other than those she creates herself, and her friends are no more intriguing.

The intermittent use of stereotypical teenage words such as "like" or "totally" threw me off a bit, I figure it makes more sense to either leave them out completely or have at least one character who uses them often enough to fit the stereotype.

Another issue I have with this book is the lack of description. Here's a quote: "Gavin walks over to a table at the far end of the store and sits down." Yes, I realize this tells me exactly what's going on, but it's boring. It's unnecessary. Here's another: "We are standing really close to each other. I cry for a few more seconds."

I gave this book two stars because I read it with the expectation that it would be a fluffy sort of chicklit novel, and an easy, fun way to pass the time over this holiday break. An easy read, sure, but overall a bit bland.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Espressologist.