Moira's Reviews > Fever Pitch

Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby

Jan 11, 09

bookshelves: comfort-reading, personal-classics
Read in January, 2009

I love this book more than I can express. I read it for the first time after a particularly painful baseball season (Mariners expelled from the playoffs by demonic Yankees) and I've probably read it every year since. I'm actually reading it again right now because I am painfully baseball deprived until spring training.

Now I realize that it is not actually about baseball specifically- and please, never speak to me about the Americanized movie starring Jimmy Fallon because I will cry and shriek- but sometimes it's the only thing that can make me feel like part of the universe again after my brain has been completely taken over by baseball fanaticism and I need to come down.

In a review of Moneyball, Nick Hornby said this:"I understood about one in four words of Moneyball, and it’s still the best and most engrossing sports book I’ve read for years. If you know anything about baseball, you will enjoy it four times as much as I did, which means that you might explode." For me that completely applies to Fever Pitch, but substitute English football (or as I like to say, "soccer") for baseball. The ridiculous, futile, completely self-inflicted pain of being a sports fan is universal.

If you like this book at all, and even if you're a Red Sox fan- no, especially if you're a Red Sox fan, do not ever watch the American movie. There's a perfectly pleasant and enjoyable British movie that stars Colin Firth, and you can probably find it on Netflix. It's very satisfying, and it doesn't insult the entire world of sports by shoving Drew Barrymore and David Ortiz together.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fever Pitch.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Brad And Lord Blackwood from the new Sherlock Holmes movie plays Colin Firth's best friend.

Tfitoby This was an incredibly eye-opening review Moira, not only are you American but also a girl. You are a slap in the face for all us narrow minded Englishmen!

But you sum it up perfectly with your statement about the universal nature of self-inflicted pain.