Scott's Reviews > Crank

Crank by Ellen Hopkins

Dec 17, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: first-half-of-2011, realistic, poetry, 2011, young-adult-books, mlis-uwm, older-teens
Read from January 11 to 13, 2011

I can think of few books I hated more than this one. I may write more thoughts later.

Basically:
It feels like a cop-out. She seems to just making excuses for Kristina/Bree.

Why are all of Ellen Hopkins female characters sooooo obsessed with being in love. And then they define themselves by those relationships.

The verse format has been a problem for me and Ellen Hopkins books in the past. This one wasn't quite as bad, I could see the reason the poems existed more here than in her other books. In fact, it actually helped on a few occassions. Very few, because . . .
THIS WRITING IS BAD. Her writing gets considerably better in later books. Here it is just awful. There was nothing that rang true. The sentences are boring, cliche, or just plain silly.
UGH.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crank.

01/11/2011 page 438
82.0% "I don't get it. The writing is so bad. The style is pointless. And it seems like she's just making excuses for Kristina/Bree. Maybe I am not the intended audience, but sheesh, this is terrible. Ellen Hopkins is popular, but not a good writer."
show 1 hidden update…