Diane Pollock's Reviews > The Price of Everything: Solving the Mystery of Why We Pay What We Do

The Price of Everything by Eduardo Porter

F 50x66
Dec 17, 10

Read in December, 2010

A fascinating look at how we place value and why. The book opens by looking at the price of trash. We will pay people to remove it and pay large amounts not to live near it, but, on the other hand, their are those who will pay large amounts FOR our trash. The price of women, happiness, faith, work and many others lead you to look at things with new eyes. The book is clever and wise, full of fun nuggets and tidbits of information that will stay with you long after you close it's covers. For example, one of the reasons it is hard to get political action to prevent global warming in the US is because we have a large, voting elderly population. Since clearly they will be gone before any drastic warming can occur, they just don't place much importance on the issue the way that the smaller, non-voting youth population does. Highly recommended, you will love learning from this author!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Price of Everything.