King Ævil's Reviews > One Hundred Years of Solitude

Dec 24, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: 2010, classics, general-fiction, library-books
Read in December, 2010 , read count: 1

I wasn't sure what the overall message was here, but I narrowed it down to two possibilities: "Life sucks and then you die, perhaps at the hands of a crazy relative", and "Schizophrenia has a strong genetic component."

The other great mystery surrounding 100 Años de Soledad is how such a high-brow novel, without a trace of bullshit New Age pseudoscience, could have been selected for Oprah's book club.

The story is completely incomprehensible without the family tree provided at the beginning. With the family tree, it is only 80% incomprehensible, and if the tree were drawn properly, the incomprehensibility would fall to a mere 50%. Sr. García Márquez is obviously a better writer than a geneticist: even in a nonscientific context, most people know that the lines drawn in pedigrees show blood relation, and not marital relation. A much more useful diagram would show who was living in the Buendía household at any one time.

Anyway, the book had a nice beat and I could dance to it; I'll give it an 87. </American Bandstand>

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Hundred Years of Solitude.