Mon's Reviews > The Picture of Dorian Gray

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

Jan 04, 11

bookshelves: 19th-c
Read from December 17, 2010 to January 04, 2011 — I own a copy

19th century people do funny things. For example, the males characters are constantly picking out flowers for their 'buttonholes'. And not just any flower, but colour and specie specific orchid. Heavy floor length curtain was popular (think about it, they didn't have that many windows back then, so the interior would be pretty gloomy most of the time). Hot chocolate is consumed before coffee as breakfast (and not just for children). They also faint easily (maybe it's the chocolate feast). I'm also glad facebook status has now replaced speedy servants with preposterous amount of letter writing. And the government who wanted to hang this guy for writing a bad story? Really? How would you feel if they hang Dan Brown?

I don't understand why people take this book so seriously. It's really fun, full of witty dialogues, philosophical insights and jack-ass comebacks. Yeah that's basically it, just really funny like a 30 Rock episode. It's probably lowbrow to compare one of the greatest literary work to TV, but meh, we should all chill like Dorian.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Picture of Dorian Gray.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 2: by DW (new) - rated it 4 stars

DW How far along are you into this? This book is one of my favs. I'm interested to hear how it's turning out for you.

message 1: by Deborah (new) - added it

Deborah Samples I will never forget this book!!!!