Heather's Reviews > A Most Scandalous Engagement

Dec 17, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: historicalromance
Read in February, 2011

** spoiler alert ** If I could give this a 1 for the main romance, and a 2 for the secondary romance, I would. I was a bit bummed by this book, as I was with the first two in this series as well. Peter seemed just an average man; he hadn't aged enough since his misfortunes in Never Marry a Stranger, and there was a lot of talk about Peter misbehaving, but I never really got that sense from him in the story. I was impressed that he had moved forward and made himself a fortune, but I didn't feel that emotionally he had aged. He didn't have that "something" that makes him interesting.

As to Elizabeth, I found her annoying. She was a whole lot of "me, me, me," and even when she realized she was all "me, me, me" she still strung Peter on. She's young, and she behaves it. Perhaps that makes them a perfect fit, because I thought Peter was a bit young for a hero too.

Callen uses the same stereotype, and I'm not a fan. A girl who had some traumatic event that changes her attitude, makes her bitter and/or tuck herself away. But then she sees the others get their happily ever after, and maybe isn't so bitter and secretly pines for marriage. Can a lady just not want to be married, and there be no underlying trauma, or subconsciously secretly want to be married? The irony is that I end up liking the secondary romance/characters more. I felt that way in Never Marry a Stranger. I couldn't stand Matthew and Emily, but I was really interested in Susanna. I really liked Mary Anne, and would have rather seen her love story than Elizabeth's. Yes, she used her billiards to hide away - but neither had she ever been challenged before, until Thomas. And that's what she needed. I liked that she was forward thinking; I didn't feel that way about Elizabeth's pranks and challenges. I can't wait for the final book in this series to be finished, so I can read it, and I'm pretty sure stop reading her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Most Scandalous Engagement.