Emanuela ~plastic duck~'s Reviews > The Letter Z

The Letter Z by Marie Sexton

May 23, 2011

bookshelves: rainbow-gay, glbt, contemporary, romance
Recommended to Emanuela ~plastic duck~ by: Juana "Darkness" Duran
Read on May 23, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I'm not mad at Zach and Angelo for their arrangement, I think the author was able to make me believe it's something which works for them. The only problem I had - and that's the reason why I give 4 stars as a rating - is that I didn't see that coming. I should probably re-read the previous book A to Z and pick the hints of what was going to happen. It wasn't difficult to believe that Angelo agreed to Zach's suggestion, in a sense he's the one who seems to gain more from their arrangements. Then I played devil's advocate with myself and wondered: what would I think if my partner suggested with apparently no problem that I sleep with someone else? Maybe that he really doesn't care about me. About us. That what we have is not so precious. That he's not afraid I'll find someone better. That no one else will think I'm worth a thing. I don't know what to think, really.

The narrators of this short story are Angelo, with his colloquial and clipped voice, and Matt, who is the voice of balance and reason. In Promises I probably preferred Jared, but in this book Matt is just wonderful. He is a true friend, he doesn't try to judge or interfere, he is there for everyone who might need him.

Zach came out rather dull and subdued. He was very indecisive and overwhelmed from what was going on. It really seemed he didn't care. I can't say I understand him. Even if I didn't like his ex Jonathan at the beginning, I can almost justify him for why he left Zach. I want to see someone fight for their relationship, but Zach wasn't convincing enough.

Jared was a bit pushy, but I think he was mistreated a bit. I am sure he was in good faith even if he was quite offensive, but honestly, I think I would have the same reaction. It would take me a little while to put me in the frame of mind to accept a friend's open relationship without expressing a few doubts, but I'd try to be more subtle. He apologized with Angelo at the end, but I don't think he thinks higher of Angelo. I am sure he still sees a danger in Ang and Zach's relationship.

This is the perfect book to open discussions, but I really appreciated that the author let all the opinions show. The writing is wonderful and it confirms my love for this series.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Letter Z.

05/23/2011
82.0% "They're so complicated and I am glad I like complications in my books"