Vince's Reviews > The Metropolis Case

The Metropolis Case by Matthew Gallaway

Mar 17, 2011

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from January 18 to February 02, 2011 — I own a copy

Sorry to take so long getting back to this. I let it sink in, but then procrastinated. I'd also like to disclose that this was a prize in a goodreads giveaway.

I think the universe is trying to tell me something, because a lot of the books and films I've gotten lately have had a similar theme, that there are no coincidences. To paraphrase a character from this book, we shouldn't ask how something could possibly happen, but rather how could it not.

Another thing I found especially poignant was when a character spoke of the threads of love and beauty that intertwine in our lives. These threads prove to be incredibly strong, as the book's events play out.

Don't be put off by the Wagner opera which holds the story together. I'm more into rock and jazz, but we've all been moved by particular works of art. (I dig opera too; more moved by Mozart though. Don Giovanni & Magic Flute would be on my desert island.)

This was a bit of a change of pace for me, as I read alot of mystery & crime. I really enjoyed this though, and as the connections between characters manifest themselves, I think you will as well.

(Some folks have complained about some editorial and typographical problems. I think the "official" release corrects these.)

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Metropolis Case.

01/19/2011 page 16
01/24/2011 page 150
39.0% "Enjoying this as I begin to grasp the connections between the characters."
02/01/2011 page 275
72.0% "Should wrap this up tomorrow - snow day here in Chicago!"
show 7 hidden updates…

message 1: by Martha (new)

Martha It looks good! Glad to see you've won again!!

Vince Martha wrote: "It looks good! Glad to see you've won again!!"

It is good - one of those books that jumps around in time, revealing its connections as you progress. Random House sent an "uncorrected" paperback copy about a week after I won, then a week or so ago sent the hardcover edition as well. Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for the Sinatra bio. Oh well, not like I don't have any other books.