Natshane's Reviews > When It Happens

When It Happens by Susane Colasanti

Dec 16, 10

Read in December, 2010

** spoiler alert ** My exact thoughts were 'Is there actually a guy out there like Tobey?'
I always have gotten used to the idea of guys being un-romantic and incapable of well, passion that every time when I read a book about a guy professing his undying love to his 'soul mate', I'm taken aback. In my mind, guys are so insensitive, and that had me wondering if the fictional characters in the book is actually a rare image of reality-living-guys. So, back to the book, does a guy like Tobey really do exist? It's a wide world....

Tobey sort of reminds me of Edward Cullen, him being so in love with Sara and all, I mean, he's not like other made-up guys I've read before in books! (Apart from Edward Cullen, but he's a vampire so....) He is so emotionally involved with Sara that hearing the word I Love You made me widened my eyes. At first, the way Tobey is so obsessed with Sara sort of warms me yet creeped me out a little, but it's so predictable and cliche that Tobey and Sara would end up together-in a good way, or else I wouldn't even pick them up, I hate bad endings. So here's 10 things I love about this book.

1. Awesome story plot, yes it's sort of typical but at the same time you would find something uncliche in it, which makes you have an emotional outburst.

2. It makes me believe that there is a soul mate out there for me (cheesy?) and there is someone like Tobey. I know we are supposed to be able to differentiate between reality and fantasy, after all books are a form of entertainment, but hey, it offers hope too, haha.

3. I laughed at Tobey and Mike's friendship, how he is his dating guru, they shared a unique and funny bond, so I finally know what guys talk about, ha!

4. Is it possible to not fall head over heels with the relationship Tobey and Sara shared?

5. I'm totally engrossed in the story.

6. It's so predictable yet so unpredictable at the same time! When Tobey told Sara about he's 'temporal' infatuation towards Cynthia for the use of her....'body', the cliche thing she would do is freak out, which she did. And for even more cliche-ness, she would say stuff like 'I don't want to be with you.' 'You're not who I thought you were' 'We have nothing in common.' BS but instead she took the uncliche route, oh boy did she got mad, but then Tobey didn't have to come begging for her, she accepted so cooly, which surprises me. And how Tobey knows her so well, it's the sweetest thing in the world when you know someone knows you more than you know yourself.

7. The little things are the most important and significant piece of the bigger picture. I learned that from the book.

8. The writing, the way the story is narrated in both boy and girl's POV (Tobey and Sara), it's like reading both sides of the story at the same time, to know what the characters are thinking and analysing, that was intriguing.

9. Overall of this book made me realize the importance of friendship.

10. It got me screaming, dancing around, hyperventilating, pumping on my bed, hugging my cowie (My stufedf animal! Girls like stuffed animals okay.) and talking to myself, acting like a total maniac, and that is how I judge a good book. Two things, if it managed to make me go 'unresponsive-1 star' 'falling asleep-2 stars' 'acting unusually-3 stars', 'nuts-4stars' 'haywire-5stars' I'll rate it according to those, and it must be meaningful, deep I supposed but not necessarily extremely deep. Just not that kind of 'I'm a nerd then I turned into Miss Popular then all the guys notices me and that's my senior year story' stuff though, at ;east have some moral values in it, haha.

Since I had done the above actions, which proved that my brain nerves are severely impaired-nearing the about to fuse stage, I guess I'll go and rate this five stars huh?
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When It Happens.

Quotes Natshane Liked

Susane Colasanti
“For one day there will be nothing left, yet we will have something. -me-

I tried to wait for my life to begin. Something has to happen. Like an amazing boy. I know he's out there. I just have to find him.”
tags: life

Susane Colasanti
“Do you believe in fate?"
"I guess, but . . . its more about creatng the life you want so you can make that fate a reality. You know?”

“I'm sorry.'
Congratulations.'
Can you tell me why you're so upset?'
The thing is, Tobey should get this. I mean, he's gotten everything else about me. And I don't want to explain it all. So much of it has to do with jealousy, and I know it's stupid to be mad at him because he had a life before me. But I am anyway.”

Susane Colasanti
“Tobey puts the CD on. Then he comes over and hugs me. I lean my head on his chest.
'I want to know everything about you,' he whispers.”

Susane Colasanti
“Too bad guys aren’t like Mr. Potato Head Where you can pick and choose which parts you want. Then we might come up with a guy who meets your standards.
- Maggie”

Susane Colasanti
“It feels incredible to be outside when I’m supposed to be inside. The sensation of freedom is intoxicating.
- Sara”

Susane Colasanti
“We’re never gonna understand women. They’re way too complex. You’ve got too many variables to consider. PMS, bad hair days, miscellaneous mood swings . . . there’s no way to tell what’s causing their attitude.
- Mike”

Susane Colasanti
“Anyway, shes still getting to know you," Mike says. "Chicks are like that. They base how much tey like on you an emotional level. They have to be into your personality first, and then they decide they want you. But if a guy thinks a girl is hot, he'll learn to like her personality later. It's two different worlds, man.”
tags: mike

Susane Colasanti
“This stuff doesn't matter. What matters is what you do with it." Sara snaps the highlighter cap on. "I try not to think about how boring it is (History). I just keep reminding myself about how I want my life to be and what I have to do to get there. Then it's simple.”

Susane Colasanti
“If you have to explain about how something's supposed to feel, it takes away all the magic.”

Susane Colasanti
“Do you want to be with Dave for the rest of your life?” Then he rips off a piece of paper and picks up
the smallest charcoal stick from my set. He writes something. He passes it over to me.
It says:
Time will tell.
“And while you’re waiting,” he says, “don’t settle for anything less than what you really want.”

Susane Colasanti
“Tell me about it. It’s so hard to deal with a single parent. They take out all their anxiety on you. It’s like,
she’s so angry all the time. And I didn’t even do anything!”
“That’s so wrong.”
“Yeah.”
“Where’s your dad?”
“I don’t know. My mom had me when she was still in high school, so . . .”
“You don’t see him at all?”
“No, and I don’t want to. I have no interest in maintaining a relationship with someone who didn’t love
me enough to stick around.”

Susane Colasanti
“Too bad Einstein’s dead. I’m sure he would have appreciated my latest discovery
within the space-time continuum.The closer you are to experiencing a monumental event, the longer time
stretches out. It makes you feel alone”

Susane Colasanti
“A geek is like a dork. Someone who’s on the fringe, who you
wouldn’t want to hang out with. A nerd is someone too weird and smart to fit in with the masses. Like
me.”
“You’re not a nerd!”
“It’s okay. I know who I am. I consider it a compliment. I like when people tell me I’m weird.” I cram
four Cheez Doodles into my mouth. “I mean, why be normal? ”

Susane Colasanti
“Standing in the line at the food court, I try to be myself. But I forget how I usually stand when I'm myself.”