Matt Skains's Reviews > Death to the BCS: The Definitive Case Against the Bowl Championship Series

Death to the BCS by Dan Wetzel

Dec 26, 10

bookshelves: sports
Read from December 23 to 26, 2010

Overall, this is a pretty sickening book to read. The level of corruption, back-room deals and abuse of college football is astounding. Despite being a pretty quick read, it can be repetitive at times - even if the (achieved) effect is to drive home the central theme. Wetzel and company do an excellent job of researching many of the numbers behind the system and present it in an easy to understand fashion (even for those of us not naturally inclined toward financial discussions). Reading about how the bowl system in general fleeces the schools is pretty astounding. We all know it's a dirty system, but I really don't think many people fully understand the depths of the bowl game system's depravity.

The one thing I wish the book had was a call to action at the end. Upon reaching the finish, I was left with boiling blood and a desire to interrogate school officials about their participation in this mess. Readers are not given any suggestions on what they might do to effect change in the set-up. As Wetzel points out, this is a pretty central strength of the BCS Cartel - not having a responsible party to nail down - and it is quite frustrating at the end of the book to not have a way to take action. Hopefully this information finds it's way into the public's focus and an effective vehicle of change is presented.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death to the BCS.