Miquixote's Reviews > I May Not Get There with You: The True Martin Luther King, Jr

I May Not Get There with You by Michael Eric Dyson

Dec 16, 2010

bookshelves: politics, significant-250-citations, biography, 3-points, race

I read it out of a want to learn more about the legend of Martin Luther King and the information was indeed quite revealing.

I have always heard how amazing MLK was, so imagine my surprise that this book would reveal a side of MLK that is undeniably sexist and authoritarian (sorry, I know MLK is untouchable to many...) The book left me feeling those things sometimes more than the positive characteristics of compassion that most know of, MLK's understanding of the connection between racism, poverty, and the military-industrial complex and of his accompanying devotion to fight those evils.

It is tragic that Martin passed away before he could make the next 2 connections in theory and action (those would be feminism and anti-authoritarianism). One could focus more on Martin's positive influence, of his amazing capacity for practicing what he preached. There are plenty of theorists out there that were leaps and bounds ahead of Martin in theory, but what separated Martin from the rest were his actions that followed his beliefs. Martin reached that fine line between theory and practice (praxis), even if his theory wasn't honed completely.
In the end, kudos to Michael for honesty.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I May Not Get There with You.