Jessi's Reviews > Not That Kind of Girl

Not That Kind of Girl by Susan Donovan

Dec 28, 10

bookshelves: contemporary-fiction, romance
Read from December 16 to 21, 2010

** spoiler alert ** First Line: "The room nearly overflowed with hope, joy, and love, and Roxanne Bloom knew if she didn't get out of there within the next thirty seconds, the top of her head would blow off."

I have very mixed feelings about this book. Let me start with the things I loved. First, this is the last in the series and I really appreciated Donovan's depiction of female friendship. I was so excited to watch the continued growth of the friends and their pets and to watch as all three of Roxie's friends jumped in to support their friend no matter how dark her life became. I loved that the book featured a pitbull mix and dealt with issues of good pet-parenthood and rehabilitating abused animals. I enjoyed meeting Eli, the hero, in all his sweet, sexy cowboyness. I even liked Roxie, although I did not identify with how she handled her issues with men as I tend to have the complete opposite reaction.

However, there were a few things that I just could not quite reconcile with enough to truely enjoy the story. I was hoping that Beatrice would have her own book. She is a very strong, wonderful woman who just happens to be a lesbian. I know that same-sex romance novels are ... not often mainstream. However, I felt that she deserved her own love story, rather than having her romance tacked on to the end of Roxie's. I did like the twist her fate takes, but I would have really loved to get to know her better. Second - and this is a major spoiler so stop reading now if you don't want to know - I just could not deal with the fact that Eli was the son of Roxie's previous lover. Personally, that would have been too much of an ick factor for me - one that I'm not sure I could have overcome even for my soulmate.

So there it is. For part of the book I could give five stars, for others one star, so I settled for three. I would still recommend this series to fans of contemporary romance and will look forward to more by Donovan.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not That Kind of Girl.

05/05/2014 marked as: romance