Marianna Troy's Reviews > Black Boy

Black Boy by Richard Wright

May 09, 12

Read from December 16, 2010 to May 08, 2012

This book has been difficult for me to get through, not because it is not well written, but because it is an intensely powerful story that was often hard for me to process. Richard Wright's experiences growing up in the Jim Crow South, and his constantly being forced to change who he was for fear of his life, made it a difficult read. The hardest part for me was that I could not brush it off as a fictional account. The truth is that these things happened to an entire race of people in this country, even after the "end" of slavery. How the black men and women around him had to accept their treatment and feed in to their submissive charactizations because that is the only acceptable role was heart wrenching. And Richard's want to change these things made him look queer even in the eyes of his own race. At the end, there is no end for Richard because this autobiography was written while Richard was still young and its a comfort to know that his story went on and he persevered, at least as much as the culture would allow it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Boy.