Hayden Casey's Reviews > Endure

Endure by Carrie Jones

Apr 14, 12

bookshelves: favorite-series
Read from April 08 to 13, 2012

I've had a love-hate relationship with Carrie Jones over the years. Need was the first of her books I read, and I thought it was okay her writing was choppy and hard to read, but the characters were there, not to mention the whole phobia thing. How cool is that?!

Captivate, Need's sequel, took me even further into the world of Zara White and her friends, human and pixie alike, and I became infatuated with Jones's series. Entice made me love it. Imagine my heartbreak and disappointment when I found out this book was out a whole YEAR after Entice and, even then, kept getting pushed back.
Finally, a solid May release date got announced, and I just couldn't wait. I really enjoyed After Obsession, too, even though it had no ties to Jones's Need world and featured a brand-spanking-new co-author.

Endure, even though I never really liked the title (at all), was the best book in the series for me.

I feel like Carrie's writing has improved since the series started. Say goodbye to her former, choppier style of writing -- while that is warranted in some places during Endure, Carrie 2.0 has been released and is much an improvement. My favorite part of Endure is the end -- no, I'm not going to spoil it for you -- because it wrapped up the series perfectly. And -- *hint, hint* -- I always love the flash-forward-in-time epilogues. :D

The love interest in the series has always been a bit of a toss-up for me. In most series, you can usually guess who the MC will decide to end up with. Endure wasn't like that at all -- I honestly had no idea and felt like it was a flip-of-a-coin move for Jones. Either one would've benefited Zara in the long run, and I am quite happy with who she did end up with.

About those boys . . . *sigh* I feel like they were being really possessive and stupid throughout the entire book. Up until the end, I think neither of them deserved Zara and that what they really deserved was a frying pan to the face, but they redeemed themselves and stopped acting like idiots.

I loved the Norse mythology, even though I felt like a lot of it was thrown in my face. I overall just really enjoyed Endure.

One thing is for darned sure -- Carrie Jones sure can write an ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Endure.

04/08/2012 page 65
23.0% ""I need something both war-appropriate and cute." I love Issie."
04/13/2012 page 178
68.0% "Whoop... This is getting good."
04/13/2012 page 178
68.0% "Whoop... This is getting good."
04/13/2012 page 203
78.0% 3 comments
04/13/2012 page 226
87.0% "Mrs. Nix... Who is that again? I totally forgot."
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Steph Sinclair They denied meh!

message 4: by Rogier (new)

Rogier lol

Steph Sinclair Great review, Hayden. I was finally approved for it! :D

message 2: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda The Book Slayer Perfect beginning to the review. It is a love/hate relationship with her as well for me. Yes for boy redemption. I am glad I saw this b/c I have this one to review as well. Yikes I better hurry.

Esther I love it when issie, Cassidy and devyn walk into Zara's house and the see Zara and astley kissing. Then issie instead of widening her eyes in an APPROPRIATE reaction she starts complaining about how devyn and her don't kiss like that and how they kiss like old people. I SWEAR I actually died at the old people part. I love issie.