Ellen Dugosh's Reviews > Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea

Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler

F_50x66
Dec 16, 10

LOVED IT!!! I think Chelsea is absolutely hilarious. I took this book with me on my recent trip to San Diego for work. I figured that if I was going to sit on an airplane for a couple of hours (each way) and be in training, I'd want a book that was light hearted and entertaining. Let's be honest, those are my favorites anyway and if you don't believe me, check out my recent post on Legacies by Bette Bao Lord.

I've read another of Chelsea's books (My Horizontal Life) but this was laugh out loud funny. This is her auto biography of sorts that doesn't necessarily just detail her escapades between the sheets. Her style of writing breaks all the rules and she frankly doesn't give a damn about what people say or think which I love. My lunch breaks while at training were spent sitting on a bench by the bay (with a beautiful view of Coronado) and the people running and walking all probably thought I was insane sitting there giggling at the book I was reading. I sent boyfriend a text that said, "I've found my new role model!" Unfortunately for me, he knew what I was reading and did not support it. I wasn't referring to her whorish behavior... just her take no prisoners attitude.

I honestly wish some days that I could be just that brave-- tell people how I feel, behave the way I want to (as opposed to how I'm supposed to), and frankly do whatever the hell I want to just because I want to. It'll never happen but it sure sounds good... right?

In case you couldn't figure it out, I gave this book 5 stars on Goodreads :) Chelsea earned every single one of those stars too. Regardless of how up tight you may be, I certainly suggest that you read this book so you can learn about her dysfunctional family. Whether it is a young Chelsea telling her teachers that she can't do her homework because she's in a movie or an adult Chelsea convincing her boyfriend (or bedmate) that the goldfish that's significantly different from his [DEAD] prized goldfish is the same one, this book will have you turning the pages!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea.