Danna's Reviews > The Magnolia League

The Magnolia League by Katie Crouch

Mar 29, 2011

bookshelves: owned

I really didn’t know exactly what The Magnolia League was going to be about, but it certainly did not disappoint.
The one thing that stood out the most to me in this story of debutantes (in a good way) was the magic involved. The MGs (Magnolia Girls) were obsessed with it and had to use it all the time, but instead of them not having consequences for using these spells, they had a big one: if they leave Savannah, Georgia, they die. When Alex Lee comes to town after the death of her mother, she doesn’t know anything about the Magnolias, just that they’re rich and stuck-up.
Alex was a good character in this book. At times I wanted to rip my hair out when she was dealing with boys but most times, I cheered her on. My favorite thing about her was that she never let anything get in her way. She disobeyed her grandmother a lot to find stuff out about her mother and The Magnolia League. Some people might call that a rebellious teen, but I say that that’s normal.
One thing I didn’t get about The Magnolia League was her relationship with Thaddeus. She said she wanted to take it slow and that he didn’t know anything about her and yet at the end, she says she loves him. Their relationship seemed a bit flat at some times.
Overall, I really enjoyed this book. Katie Crouch is a fantastic writer and I can’t wait to see some more of her young adult novels in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magnolia League.