Ari's Reviews > The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend

The DUFF by Kody Keplinger

2519179
Dec 16, 2010

Liked: Bianca's cyncial self (I might be one of the few who did xD)

Using Wesley as a distraction. I can completely and totally understand the thought process behind that idea. Plus the scenes with Wesley were good times ;)

Poor little rich boy Wesley doesn't spend a lot of time complaining, he lives his life and when he finally decides to do something about his situation, he doesn't talk about it, he just does it. Thanks to Bianca's influence, which is cool.

Toby Tucker!

The irony of Bianca's mother being a self-help coach and yet she can't seem to help herself, her husband or Bianca.

Dislisked: Bianca's handling of her father's alcoholism. I kept thinking she should just Google for tips on how to handle it. ^o^

Bianca kept saying Wesley was a jerk when clearly he had already proven that he wasn't a complete jerk. Also if he was such a jerk, he would have said something cruel about her body while they are hooking up and he never did.

The totally and completely random scene with Amy, Wesley's sister. Just weird.

A smart and fun contemporary novel that better reflects life for high school teens, it's unabashedly sexy and cynical and all together a most refreshing read. Hilarious banter/snappy dialogue combined with very few melodramatic scenes. I hope to see more novels like this. I do wish that there had been some ethnic dviersity in the story though. Ah well. So more stories like this with a diverse cast.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The DUFF.

12/16/2010 page 74
26.0% "I am really glad I was able to read this book although I think Bianca is rather blind to the fact that Wesley is clearly not a jerk (not a sweetheart either but he's not heartless....). Hmm"