Ray Mccue's Reviews > The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin

M 50x66
Jul 24, 14

bookshelves: nwe-autobiography, nwe-american-history
Read in October, 2010

Franklin was so amazingly ahead of his time, or perhaps he merely spearheaded the American Enlightenment. The first thing that struck me were the slow beginnings that the man had; he built up his success bit by bit, starting as as his brother´s apprentice in a Boston printing shop, moving blindly to Philadelphia, apprenticing there, spending time in England and then, eventually, raising his stature in Philadelphia society such that he became one of our countries Founding Fathers.

The autobiography is full of utility. Franklin´s religious is something that I was really able to understand, not being a person of religion any longer. His arguments against deism and atheism due to their lack of utility at doing much social good resonated with me and is a great rationale for me to keep faith. His ideas on argument, that prefixing statements like "It seems to me that..." or "I have perceived that..." allow one to put forth information without losing ground if wrong and allows the statements to get past the other parties defenses. Finally, Franklin´s philosophy of success as a mix of restraint, hardwork, simplicity, and personal investment is a path that I´ve decided to take up myself. I apprehend it'll do me much good.

All in all, he's one of the greatest men I have ever come in contact with.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin.