Ron's Reviews > Servant Leadership: A Journey Into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness

Servant Leadership by Robert K. Greenleaf

1938084
Dec 16, 2010

bookshelves: read-2012
Read from May 02 to June 06, 2012

Greenleaf's book was recommended to me by a pastor I greatly respect, but it took me some time before I cracked it open. The book seems dated to me in some ways, with a style of prose a bit more obtuse than I am currently used to (perhaps reading so many books to my toddlers is stumping my own comprehension level) and a hope and optimism for the business was toe that I find difficult to swallow in an era when CEOs are making huge salaries and bonuses but the average middle-class or working -class worker is not seeing any such gains from company success.

However, that said, there were many good insights from throughout the book. The basic concept of a servant leader is both sound and appealing to me: being one who works from within, with a centered and healthy sense of self, with the intent of serving others to help all (individuals and institutions) improve and be better. In fact, I got more out of the final chapters and the Afterword, especially in the afterword's summaries of some key principles.

I do not know that I would re-read the text in full, but I will return to the passages I highlighted and made notes at in order to more fully grasp, understand, and seek to Iive the concept of the servant leader.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Servant Leadership.