Michelle 's Reviews > Wither

Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Apr 21, 11

bookshelves: 2011, debut-authors
Read in March, 2011

I loved, loved, loved this book. I've been sitting on this review for a while because I don't even know if I can adequately express how much I loved this book and why I loved it so much. The writing is amazing. DeStefano's world is so beautiful and at the same time so heart breaking. To know when you are going to die - how you are going to die - and to have to sit and count down the years.. Could you imagine?

I loved all the characters in this book. I thought Cecily, the spoiled, selfish third sister wife, would get on my nerves but I ended up really liking her and feeling for her. Here is a a girl who has never had anything in her life and has been handed the world on a platter. Of course she is going to take full advantage of it! She thinks she has been given a gift. On the other hand, Rhine and Jenna have been taken away from something - their families, people they love. I've gotta say, I loved the relationship between the sister wives. Throughout the book you can tell that they truly do care for each other and become sisters.

The boys in the book are interesting as well. I know some people are Team Linden (looking at you, Miss Remmers!) but I'm gonna stay on Team Rhine for right now and not even pick a boy. I liked the relationship with Gabriel - they became friends first not this rushed love kinda stuff - and with Linden - he seemed to really care about her. I'm really interested in seeing what happens in the other books and how the relationship between Rhine and the boys play out.

Also, the writing in this book is beautiful. The situation is depressing but DeStefano makes the world beautiful. Rhine's feelings just explode off the page. You feel what she is feeling - despair, happiness, sadness. The writing just sucks you in and doesn't let go until the last page. I am going to take a minute and say how much I love this cover. It is just gorgeous! I usually don't mention covers in reviews but this is one of my favorite covers so far this year. Love it!

Y'all, this is a fantastic read. If you haven't read it yet - Go now and read it. You will not be disappointed!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wither.

03/12/2011 page 75
show 5 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Reagan Urbanec I loved this book too! You HAVE to read "The Goddess Test" by Aimee Carter now!

Michelle That's next! I'm gonna try to finish The Emerald Atlas today then start The Goddess Test. Charged my Nook up for it! :)