Diane's Reviews > The Canterbury Tales

The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer

F_50x66
Dec 16, 10

bookshelves: currently-reading

I really like this edition; there is Middle English on the left side and the Modern English translation on the right. The glossary and introduction notes help to create a satisifying understanding. It is a helpful introduction to Chaucer for high school students.

The Wife of Bath's Tale and The Pardoner's Tale are classics and my students seem to appreciate them. They like drunk good idea of the three frat boys to kill death and the irony of The Pardoner's Tale. There seems to be mixed reviews of the Wife's Tale. I asked them "What do women most desire?" as a prereading activity and it sparked a great discussion. Some had interesting answers others not so much; my favorite goofy answers were chocolate and babies. Some students, stuck for a response, began leafing throught the textbook to find an answer. I merely smiled when I told them they probably would not find the answer there. :) Some of them are still wrapping their heads around the "self-same sovereignty" idea.

On another note, The Frankin's Tale is my new favorite. It is similar to the themes of the Wife's tale as a member of the marriage fragment. Chaucer poses the question to readers of which character is the most generious with his or her decisions and actions. Needless to say it has a refreshingly happy ending. It champions a healthy,loving marriage based on patience and honor between the two main characters and untimately shows the triumph of human goodness from all characters. I will probably find some way to teach this story in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Canterbury Tales.