Melody's Reviews > The Scourge of God

The Scourge of God by S.M. Stirling

Dec 02, 11

bookshelves: dystopia
Read in December, 2011

12/11 I'm bumping this up to four stars. The second reading left me less concerned with plot progression, and more willing to luxuriate in the world that Stirling's made. Yes, there's no doubt that Rudi is going to triumph in every situation, but it's because he's Hero Incarnate. It's a lovely escape, and a wonderfully convincing dystopia.

12/10 Another solid entry in the Emberverse saga, this book takes Rudi Makenzie and his cohorts deep into the middle of what used to be the United States. Their adventures are grueling and (need I say it?) gruesome.

3.5 stars, really. A lot of interior monologues keep this from being quite as gripping as its predecessors. Also, there begins to be a sameness, a muchness to the plotlines. This does not hinder my desire to finish the series, however. The characters are strong, likable and most important of all, interesting. I care what happens to them, and I'm interested in seeing what will happen in Nantucket- I so hope we get to Nantucket in the next book.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scourge of God.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Ryan Mishap Your are spot on with the internal dialogue--sheesh, how many freakin' mental asides can a person have in one page? It gets better the next book.

Currently awaiting the fourth book from the library.

Don't think all of Stirling's work is worthwhile. He should leave his house sometime because he writes way to much. He doesn't like to apply broad brush strokes and let the reader imagine--no he must detail every little thing.

Melody I agreed with you more the first time through, Ryan. This time I sank in and just luxuriated in the world. I'll probably get impatient again in the next couple of books- it takes a looooooong time for this particular Fellowship to score the Sword. But this re-read maybe came at a perfect time for me or else not wondering about what would happen next made the interior monologues less grating.