Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > The Cross and the Switchblade

The Cross and the Switchblade by David Wilkerson

Nov 14, 12

bookshelves: christian-theology

Another book I read many, many years ago, and like many people I picked it up at a time of crisis in my own life. After reading this book I went so far as to contact Nicky Cruz who was starting his own ministry.

As to the rating, the book isn't what might be called "great writing" but it is intense and in most places compelling. Told from a first person point of view Mr. Wilkerson relates the story and opens many of it's implications and inspirations to us.

That being said, and in the spirit of full disclosure I'm a Christian. So, let me go to the other end of the spectrum. If you're "anti-Christian" you more than likely won't like this book. It's frankly Christian and views that way of life as positive and looks at some of the best parts Christianity. It's true that many Christians have done terrible things, some they have actually claimed they did in Christ's name. If that's the part of Christianity you want to look at, while it exists that's not what this book is about.

If you are honestly agnostic you might find this book interesting. I can't say for sure of course how it will hit you, but as I said, "might".

If you are on the fence, take a look and consider.

If you are a Christian, you may like this book. Let me suggest you look at it for what it is and not get too caught up in theological debate. Mr. Wilkerson is, I believe, a Baptist. Some will of course then disagree with theological details but that's not the point here. The story is inspirational and full of hope. I like it.

****************** Update 5/20/2011 ******************

It's actually difficult to track down a lot of information on David Wilkerson's denomination. He emphasized that Christians should NOT divide themselves up and split away from each other. So my statement above about his denomination may be off or outdated. He was with Assembly of God, I'm not sure who ordained him and his Texas organization was under an interdenominational group so... Wilkerson deemphasized denominations and emphasized oneness concentrating on God's holiness and love for humanity.

He was killed in a traffic accident April 24, 2011, he will be missed...here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cross and the Switchblade.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeannette (new)

Jeannette Are you aware that David Wilkerson still has a church in Times Square, NYC? And he has a ministry school in Pennsylvania, Mt. Zion?

Mike (the Paladin) No I wasn't. As I said I read this in a period of my life when I was struggling, and even wrote Nicky Cruz. I never followed up over the years. He'd be getting up there now.

message 3: by Jeannette (new)

Jeannette Here's a link to the church.

My niece attended his ministry school.

Just an interesting side note to your review.

Laura also - in the book he was a pastor in the Assemblies of God church.

message 5: by Jeannette (new)

Jeannette And, he just died this month, in a car accident. He was 79.

Laura Yes - that is how I found the book. He was my friend's pastor and she posted about his death online. I looked in to his life more and found this book, so I checked it out.

message 7: by Jeannette (new)

Jeannette So you know about Times Square Church?

I didn't hear what caused him to cross into oncoming traffic -- did he fall asleep at the wheel?

Laura I just know my friends loved their church - both have since moved out of NYC. I do not know what happened in the accident, just that he is terribly missed.

message 9: by Jeannette (new)

Jeannette My niece worked (interned) at the church. She and all of the other young people she worked with loved the church and it's pastor, too.

message 10: by Anatoliy (new)

Anatoliy Obraztsov Pick up "a crossing or the drop's history" by Anatoliy Obraztsov. And I think you'll see on inspiration differently.