Meg - A Bookish Affair's Reviews > Annexed

Annexed by Sharon Dogar

Dec 16, 2010

bookshelves: 2011, young-adult
Read in June, 2011

Choosing to write about any of those that were hidden in the Secret Annex, made famous by Anne Frank's Diary, would have a tall order. Many students (at least here in the States) are made to read the book sometime during their academic careers. For me, Anne Frank's Diary is still one of my most favorite books that I read during school (I actually read it a few times before we read it in class). Anyhow, Anne Frank's renown could have made this book a major fail. Although this book is historical fiction, because Anne Frank is so well known, it would have been incredibly difficult to pull it off.

Oh but does Ms. Dogar ever pull it off! She captures the characters of the people in the Secret Annex so well. Anne wasn't shy when describing her fellow Annex dwellers and Dogar captures them perfectly. Anne seemed incredibly real and Peter himself seems true to life.

As with every time that I read about Anne Frank, I found myself wishing and hoping that things turn out differently in Annexed. Peter as narrator gives a little more insight in his and Anne's burgeoning love and I wanted to hold onto hope that their love would be allowed to fully bloom. I fell in love with the people in the Secret Annex all over again.

Bottom line: If you enjoyed Anne Frank's Diary, this historical fiction does her story justice and is a must read.

(This review originally posted on http://abookishaffair.blogspot.com)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Annexed.

message 1: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie Meg, I think this is the review for the wrong book sweetie.

Meg - A Bookish Affair Melanie wrote: "Meg, I think this is the review for the wrong book sweetie." Haha, that's what happens when you try to post a whole bunch of reviews at once. Copy/Paste fail! Thanks :)

Alison Ah, there is it! Great review, I couldn't agree more. There was some controversy over Annexed, but I thought Dogar did a wonderful job, while respecting Anne's beloved journal.