willaful's Reviews > Marry Me

Marry Me by Jo Goodman

Dec 17, 10

bookshelves: a-matter-of-class, sexy-beta
Read from December 15 to 17, 2010, read count: 1

I think this is the simplest book I’ve read by Goodman in awhile, and I mean that in the most complimentary way. I often find her plots hard to follow but this one had its share of surprises without being painfully convoluted; even better, the over ornateness of language that bothered me in the first book of this series was largely gone. (You don’t have to have read Never Love A Lawman to follow this one, by the way.)

The story concerns Cole, a dedicated doctor who’s come to live in the small town of Reidsville, with his younger sister. He’s a lovely, caring, intelligent man -- well matched by a woman with the strength to overcome a complicated and very painful past.

This is a book for people who really enjoy historical detail and atmosphere. Cole’s medical knowledge and scientific curiosity play a big part, and the plot was obviously inspired by an actual historical incident, which I won’t mention because of spoilers.

I found Marry Me to be thoroughly engrossing, but not quite as emotionally engaging as I would like. I think not enough time was spent on the heroine’s point of view; in particular, one scene in which Cole did something hurtful to her (a small, understandable flaw in an otherwise just about perfect hero) had no obvious emotional repercussions at all. My goodness, what’s the point of having a hero be nasty if we don’t get to enjoy some vicarious suffering? A little more heart-tugging might have tipped me over from really liking it to loving it.

I should mention that the ebook version (both Kindle and Nook) has some really unfortunate formatting errors. Everything seems to be there, as far as I can tell, but lines of dialog are frequently squashed together, making it hard to follow who's saying what and spoiling the conversational rhythm. It's a shame that it messes up a very good book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marry Me.

12/16/2010
7.0% "This nookbook has some formatting issues, but it was free so I can't complain. The book itself is off to an exciting start!"
12/16/2010
20.0% "Quite a lot about historical medical procedures. I've decided to find it interesting."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Keri Nice review!

message 2: by SheLove2Read (new)

SheLove2Read Good review, although I hated Never Love a Lawman.

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Great review! I was going to get this book for my sister as a Christmas present. Now I wish I did!

♡Karlyn P♡ Great review! I'm reading it now and enjoying the story, but agree the kindle formatting isn't good. I've seen worse, but still a bit frustrating trying to figure out who is saying what.