Baba ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter's Reviews > Absolution

Absolution by Kaylea Cross

5 stars for Luke! Re-read and buddy read with Kelly December 2012 / review edited December 21, 2012

Photobucket

Eric Luke, I don't like the dog chain…It should have been your St. Christopher medallion.

I have it on good authority that this picture comes pretty close to Luke, although we would have to age this guy a couple of years and he'd need a stronger jawline.

This specific quote by Tyler Knott Gregson sums up Em and Luke's situation perfectly:

Warm me like sunlight and soothe me like rain. Burn me with passion and steal away the pain.

"Love is an act of endless forgiveness, a tender look which becomes a habit."
- by Sir Peter Ustinov

This great instalment in Kaylea Cross’s suspense series takes us from the USA back to Beirut and the Middle East. After a nearly fatal incident, Luke walked away from Emily and their son, Rayne, many years ago.

"It would've been easier if you'd died," she told him, lower lip trembling slightly. "At least then I could have grieved and learned to live with the loss better. But having you leave when I knew damn well you still loved me? How the hell was I supposed to live with that loss?"

Luke is a former Navy SEAL who went on to work for the CIA's paramilitary ops and making a lot of enemies along the way. While reading Kaylea’s series you'll make the acquaintance of the main villain, Farouk Tehrazzi. Absolution gives us the well anticipated and deadly showdown between Luke and his former friend Tehrazzi.

Photobucket

A long time ago Luke created this lethal terrorist himself by training Tehrazzi. Guilt ate at him and Luke didn't care anymore if he died, so long as he took Tehrazzi with him. Hence, Luke wants to make things right. As it is, he wants a chance at absolution before he gave his last breath. Tehrazzi has been tracking down the women associated with Luke, and now it seems like Emily could be in danger, too. However, Luke will do anything to protect her from harm, and he's prepared to give up his life to save his lifetime love. Luke wants to take her to Beirut because it's the place to hunt down Tehrazzi and Luke's security detail is prime there. But when Luke sees Em again and she tells him she can't go to Beirut because she's suffering from (view spoiler) he has to realize that both of them have wasted about twenty years of precious time they could have been together.

Photobucket

Luke is known for his legendary coolness but when he discovers how sick Em is, he is close to coming unhinged. As it was, he had to deal with the fact that they were running out of time.

"Screw that, because I'm not letting you quit."
"You are going to fight this with everything you've got, every single day for as long as it takes. No matter what it takes, you're going to keep fighting. Got me?

Luke. What a man. Whatever this guy does, he does it very well. Including his failures. They are all freakin' spectacular. Luke incorporates everything I absolutely love in a hero: protectiveness, masculinity, strength, respect, loyalty, tenderness. Luke is tough as nails and yet capable of incredible gentleness.

"It's all right, Em. Tears are part of this," he whispered, bending to kiss them away.(…)

"You think a scar's going to change how I see you? Feel about you?"
She swallowed and struggled to find her voice. "It's ugly."
"You're beautiful to me, Em. Always." (…)
"Give me your hand," he coaxed, his voice a seductive whisper. She did, tentatively, and his fingers closed around hers in a warm grip. Strong and reassuring.
"Accept who you are. Be proud of your body. It's fighting a war for you."

There's still hope for Luke and Em.

Photobucket

He's got a heart of gold and is sexy as all get out. Simply put, Luke is the hottest fifty-year-old hero ever. And behind his alpha male behavior he's melting away for his lifetime love, Em. One thing's for sure, Luke will always have a very special place in my heart. It goes without saying that Em is his true match. She is such a classy lady. With that said, I admired Em for her strength to fight her illness and of course for her everlasting love for Luke. Furthermore, it was a real pleasure to seeing all the former heroes and heroines of the previous books again. Everyone showed up and had a special moment to do something good.

Luke is an intensely sexual man and it was obvious during their second love scene which was beautifully sensual as well as incredibly hot. Mmmm…these two set the sheets on fire, that's for sure. This man knows how to take care of his woman and then some. Moreover, Luke really showed Em how gorgeous she is in spite of her scars and all. She means the world to him.

Photobucket

Absolution provides plenty of pain, fear and an action-packed, intense, and thrilling showdown between Luke and Tehrazzi. Despite all the fear and pain you can feel the hope and love as well as the promise of a new beginning.

Minor quibbles
Even though a (view spoiler)

If you are a fellow RS lover and haven't read anything yet written by Kaylea Cross, then I'd recommend you to check out her books. It might be worth a try.

Oh, and Luke...

Always.

Thank you, Kels, for doing the buddy read with me! It was fun. Mwah!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Absolution.

12/17/2012
5.0% " Photobucket
I'm doing a re-read & buddy read with Kelly. Luke...you are the man--even with 50. Always. And Kelly...*waves* I'll keep my fingers crossed! Mwah!" 25 comments
12/17/2012
21.0% " Photobucket
"You are going to fight this with everything you've got, every single day for as long as it takes.(...)" Oh, Luke..." 4 comments
12/18/2012
45.0% " Photobucket
"I'm not over you, and I never will be. Got that?" Yeah, so much pain...I'm reading this book for the umpteenth time and I still love it!" 8 comments
12/18/2012
64.0% "The gun was gone. But the hotel bible lay there. Open to the book of Luke. His skin prickled and crawled. No. Nonono... A passage was underlined. Chapter 11, Verse 23, and he couldn't stop himself from reading it. The words swam before his eyes. Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters. His mouth went dry. Oh my God...Luke was coming for him. Yep. You asshole." 12 comments
12/19/2012
100.0% " Photobucket
"I'm sorry," he managed finally. "For everything. For every damn time I did something that hurt you." Yeah, Luke is my man. You deserved your absolution."

message 1: by Kaylea (new)

Kaylea Cross Thanks Baba! I'm so glad you liked it ;)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Kaylea wrote: "Thanks Baba! I'm so glad you liked it ;)"
Hey, after my e-mails sent to you I thought I should have a look at goodreads.com. And you got my vote for Absolution for the "2010 Goodreads Choice Awards". Absolution IS my "Favorite Book of 2010!" :)

message 3: by Karla (new) - added it

Karla Thanks Baba, I have got to get started on this series!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Karla, I'm sure you won't regret it! The books are worth your time and money! Enjoy them!

Jill Just a beautiful review Baba! This is also my favourite of the Suspense Series.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Jill wrote: "Just a beautiful review Baba! This is also my favourite of the Suspense Series."

Thanks, Jill! I will always swoooon over Luke! He holds a very special place in my heart! Yeah, what a man! *sigh* :))

Nikki Gorgeous review Baba! I'm still to read Relentless and Absolution in this series - I think that will be next on my To Read list. I got sidetracked by some historical romance reads. :)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Nikki wrote: "Gorgeous review Baba! I'm still to read Relentless and Absolution in this series - I think that will be next on my To Read list. I got sidetracked by some historical romance reads. :)"

Thanks, Nikki! Yeah, I noticed. But you know you had to save the best for last! :))

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Great review, Baba!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Kristen wrote: "Great review, Baba!"

Thanks, Kristen! Listen...did I miss something here? You're reading books but I don't 'see' your reviews. Do you have not enough time at the moment to review them? I know it's difficult to have enough time with kids, family and all... :) Anyway, I'm always on the lookout!

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Yes. Life's busy right now with Thanksgiving in a few days and Christmas in a few weeks. I'd like to review books pronto but life gets in the way sometimes.

KatLynne Loved this review Baba! I have promised myself I would begin this series this month. Do these need to be read in order? And I must ask does Em beat this cancer?

message 13: by Nikki (last edited Jan 25, 2012 08:19AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nikki I think it would definitely help to read this series in order, KL -- just my opinion though. Book 1 has a different feel to it than the others, not quite as military.

I've only read the first 3 books. Book 2 was freaking AWESOME. Baba tells me Book 4 and 5 are the best and has rolled her eyes at me many a time trying to convince me to pick this series back up. I can't help my Bright & Shiny syndrome!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter KatLynne wrote: "Loved this review Baba! I have promised myself I would begin this series this month. Do these need to be read in order? And I must ask does Em beat this cancer?"

Thanks, KatLynne! Yes, Em will beat her illness. Let's say at the end of the story she's still fighting her illness but she is on a very good way with her treatment. Further, it's written that the doctors are very hopeful. She does not die!

Ok, about the reading order. You know me, KatLynne, I hardly ever read a series in order. If you are a picky reader then I'd advise you to read them in order. Maybe it's even a good idea to do so since the characters of the previous books made an appearance in Absolution. Luke is introduced in book 1 as is Em. Just be prepared - it could be that you won't be very fond of Luke in the previous books - certainly not in book 2 since he made a few decisions that could be difficult to deal with. But I'm rather sure that you're going to love this guy in book 5 and even in book 4 too.
We are spoiled by KA's super hot alpha males but I assure you Kaylea knows how to write scrumptious alpha males too. I really love this series and I hope you will as well. *fingers crossed and all*
BTW, I loved the second love scene of Absolution. I just counted the pages. This part of the story contains about 15!! pages of one of the most sensual, passionate, erotic, and sweetest love scene that I've ever read. And I don't mean Kindle pages, I'm speaking about book pages!
I just can say one more thing: enjoy!!!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Nikki wrote: "I think it would definitely help to read this series in order, KL -- just my opinion though. Book 1 has a different feel to it than the others, not quite as military.

I've only read the first 3 bo..."

Nikki, you crazy gal! I haven't rolled my eyes at you but if you want me to do it then I'm gonna do it! Just let me know. :))

Nikki LOL Babs. :D

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Nikki wrote: "LOL Babs. :D"

I can't believe you're still up, Nikki! Get some sleep! :))

KatLynne Thanks Baba & Nikki for answering my questions:-) This series sounds really good and I'm going to start with book one! There was a time when it was an absolutely MUST for me to read each series in order. Not so much now that my schedule is packed!

Baba, you are so right about KA! I find myself measuring each hero by those found in her books...Lol

I am trying to make a dent in my mtn and have not read one of her books in 2 or 3 days. And boy am I dying here! I've been watching your reviews and don't think I'll make it. The Rock Chick series sounds very good and I'm getting week...Lol

Taryn at My Secret Romance I thought you already read this book!! How you were able to go back an entire year and remember is beyond me. lol I could never do that. :) Did you know this book (I think) was up for an award? I know one of her books was in this series.

message 20: by Searock (new)

Searock aggghh~
Baba, do I have to read the others first?

message 21: by ✿Alyssa✿ (new)

✿Alyssa✿ Great review Baba! ...I think I'm going to have to get started on this series, unless they can be read as a stand-alone! It's never really been necessary for me to read a series in order, but if all of the books in this series are worth it, then maybe I'll just read them from the beginning! :)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Taryn-does it have romance? wrote: "I thought you already read this book!! How you were able to go back an entire year and remember is beyond me. lol I could never do that. :) Did you know this book (I think) was up for an award? I k..."

LOL Taryn! I've read Absolution in November 2010. I do remember that I've written a very short review and I thought what the hell? You know I have read the WHOLE book three times and my favorites parts of the story...maybe...six, seven, or eight times?? I love Luke to pieces and I admire Em. She's a wonderful heroine with so much strength and courage!
Yes, Absolution is nominated for an award. The winner will be announced next month (March 2012):

Just received word yesterday that Absolution is a finalist in the 2012 EPIC Awards! I'm thrilled because Luke is my favorite character, and because I truly think it's my best book. I suppose it doesn't pack quite the emotional punch if a reader hasn't read the previous four books, but I hope it still makes an impact. Not sure when the winners are announced, but it was nice to be nominated.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Searock wrote: "aggghh~
Baba, do I have to read the others first?"

Aw, you know me, Searock. I hardly ever read a series in order. I started this series with book 2, then I've read book 4, book 1, book 3, and the final highlight Absolution. I'd recommend you to read Relentless (book 4) too. Book 4 and 5 are the best of this series. Honestly, I can read out of order without any regret. I don't know if you can do that and it's up to you to make a decision. If you are not too picky I'd say go ahead and read book 5. Ok?

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter ♡Alyssa♡ wrote: "Great review Baba! ...I think I'm going to have to get started on this series, unless they can be read as a stand-alone! It's never really been necessary for me to read a series in order, but if al..."

Thanks, Alyssa! I love this author, so maybe I am a bit biased. I think every book of this series is good. But. Book 4 (Relentless) and book 5 (Absolution) are the best! Of course I loved the Navy SEAL hero Declan McCabe of Cover of Darkness (book 2) too! Decisions, decisions! Enjoy, Alyssa!

message 25: by Searock (new)

Searock Oops, thanks for taking the time to answer Baba, although I see now that the question has been asked and answered a few times here. Didn't realize that when I asked it.

Sorry.

Think I'll start with the second one.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Searock wrote: "Oops, thanks for taking the time to answer Baba, although I see now that the question has been asked and answered a few times here. Didn't realize that when I asked it.

Sorry.

Think I'll start wi..."

Hey, absolutely no need to apologize, SR! That's ok. There's this saying "to miss the forest for the trees". :))

message 27: by Searock (new)

Searock You are adorable :)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Searock wrote: "You are adorable :)"

LOL and you're a sweetie. :)

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) This book just jumped up my TBR list.

message 30: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle [Helen Geek] I can't remember, I may have asked you before [forgive me...], but do you have to read these books in order? I know you don't usually, but wanted to ask.

Steamywindows♥♫ Oh, Baba this sounds delish! I love the story line that takes a character(s) through a struggle that ends with an absolution. that is if it is justifiable. (can't stand it if it is swept under the rug though). I loved your review, though I haven't read any of this author, I don't feel the drive to read a series in order, so on to my TBR, it goes!
Steamy

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Kristen wrote: "This book just jumped up my TBR list."

LOL I hope you won't be disappointed, Kristen!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter @Michelle & Steamywindows:
Kaylea Cross wrote:
I think it's my best book (along with Relentless), although I heartily agree it's not a stand alone book. Without reading at least a few other books in the series, Absolution won't have nearly the same emotional impact for the reader. At least in my opinion.

Michelle, just ask away. I don't mind to reply a dozen times! LOL

Steamywindows: Thank you! I hope you'll love it too! I haven't read them in order but as Kaylea mentioned maybe it would be better to read at least book 2, 3, and 4 before you give Absolution a go. Book 4 and 5 ARE THE BEST!

Denise~The Procrastinating Book Diva~ I just bought this series because of your review. I'm not sure when I'll get to it, but it is high on the TBR pile.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Denise wrote: "I just bought this series because of your review. I'm not sure when I'll get to it, but it is high on the TBR pile."

Gosh, I really hope you're going to love those books, Denise! And keep in mind that the best books are number four and five! So keep reading after the first of the series! Enjoy!

message 36: by Crista (new) - added it

Crista Hi Baba!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Crista wrote: "Hi Baba!
Captivating review my dear! I am jumping ahead and starting with book 4. Hopefully soon.....thanks for the recommendation:)"

Thank you, Crista and you're welcome. Well, Rhys is definitely a wonderful hero too but he can't beat my Luke! LOL

message 38: by Crista (new) - added it

Crista Girl...I just caved and bought the whole series! Can't wait to get started!!!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Crista wrote: "Girl...I just caved and bought the whole series! Can't wait to get started!!!"

LOL That's nice, Crista! The first book is the weakest but I think you already found out... :-) Keep reading though!

Lady Heather I'm starting to read this book RIGHT NOW! This series was such a great time, and of course 'the season' was perfect for me to read it. I was SO ready to start this series after reading KA's Alph/Kick-Ass Male leads. LOVED your review of this book Baba! I'm SO looking forward to reading Luke's story (He`s been teasing & courting me for the last 4 books) *sigh*

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Lady Heather wrote: "I'm starting to read this book RIGHT NOW! This series was such a great time, and of course 'the season' was perfect for me to read it. I was SO ready to start this series after reading KA's Alph/K..."

Ohhhh, please keep me posted, Heather. I hope you will love Luke. And thanks for your nice comment, my lovely.

Yvonne Great review - I can't believe I almost missed this one!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Yvonne wrote: "Great review - I can't believe I almost missed this one!"

Thanks, Yvonne. Enjoy, my dear!

message 44: by Vishous (new) - added it

Vishous nice review baba! def reading it after reading your review :)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Vishous wrote: "nice review baba! def reading it after reading your review :)"

Thanks, V! An older and very yummy hero...that's always a pleasure. :D

message 46: by Vishous (new) - added it

Vishous Baba wrote: "Vishous wrote: "nice review baba! def reading it after reading your review :)"

Thanks, V! An older and very yummy hero...that's always a pleasure. :D"

indeed it is :D

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Vishous wrote: "Baba wrote: "Vishous wrote: "nice review baba! def reading it after reading your review :)"

Thanks, V! An older and very yummy hero...that's always a pleasure. :D"

indeed it is :D"

*drool* :D

message 48: by Natasha ツ (new) - added it

Natasha ツ Baba, do these books in this series follow on each other, or can I start at this one?

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Natasha wrote: "Baba, do these books in this series follow on each other, or can I start at this one?"

Well, if you have a serious case of OCD then you should read them in order. But if you can handle series like I do and like to read out of order then I'd say give this one a go. It can be read as a stand alone. I'm kind of a spurs-of-the-moment reader anyway and I read out of order all the time.

Kelly Love the review, B! Can this be read as a stand-alone? It's sounds awesome! :)

« previous 1 3