Tara's Reviews > Mary Ann in Autumn

3197878
Jan 21, 11

bookshelves: arc
Read from December 17 to 20, 2010

I have been a fan of Armistead Maupin's since the 90's, when I first saw the Tales of the City mini-series. It was so well done, and the characters so well developed, that I watched most of it in one sitting. The series is a bit dishy and trashy at times, but that's what makes it so much fun. I'll be honest and say I haven't read all of his books, but the good thing is? You don't need to. If you're familiar with Mrs. Madrigal, Mouse, Mary Anne and the rest of the original players, you'll love this book, but in my opinion, Mary Anne in Autumn is written in such a way that even someone that's not familiar with the series will still enjoy it.

It was interesting meeting these characters again so many years after the original series. Mary Anne returns to San Francisco when she finds her life in turmoil, and she finds herself living in Mouse's cottage in his back garden. Mary Anne is the main character, but we also see the story from her adopted daughter's prospective, along with Mouse's partner Ben, and Jake, a young transgendered man who is staying with Mrs. Madrigal. All of their stories merge at the conclusion of the book, and that was my only real disappointment with the book in general. I don't know how to explain it, but I guess the best thing to say is that elements of the ending felt a bit unrealistic to me.

Despite my slight issues with the ending, Mary Anne in Autumn was such a delight. I loved connecting with some of the gang from 28 Barbary Lane, and hope this won't be the last book with these beloved characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mary Ann in Autumn.

12/17/2010 page 22