Pricky's Reviews > Unearthly

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Jan 16, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, angels, favorites-of-2011
Read in January, 2011

I love the depiction of angels in this story and the idea that they have a "purpose" as shown through their visions. I also like how "grief/sadness" were powers of the fallen angels while "love" was the power of the good angel. It is very good writing and story moves swiftly.

There were a couple of things that really annoyed me and bothered me at the end.
1. The purpose behind the vision was left unresolved as well as other unanswered questions. (Yes, I know there will be a sequel but I really wanted closure to that question.)
2. Half way through the story, the obsession Clara has with Christian was getting overwhelming; Even though he was the goal in her vision, there wasn't really anything "unique" about him...and I kept wanting her to just get over him...which she actually did...which was a relief...

I would have given it a 5 if it wasn't for that. I am looking forward to the sequel and I hope she doesn't keep us hanging on until the end. It is an impressive first debut and I'm sure you will enjoy it!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unearthly.