Michael's Reviews > Tough Customer

Dec 17, 10

bookshelves: mystery, private-investigator, read-in-2010, reviewed, thriller
Read in December, 2010

2 1/2 stars.

Dodge Hanley is a former cop who now works as a private investigator for his friend, attorney, Derek Mitchell.

Dodge has been divorced from Caroline King for thirty years but still has feelings about her. He's taken by surprise when gets a call from Caroline asking for his help. Before he can answer, she tells him that their daughter, Berry, is being stalked by a madman and was almost killed.

When Dodge arrives in Houston, Caoroline introduces him as a friend who is a private investigator. Then, they inform him of what prompted their call for help.

Orin Starks, a former co-worker with Berry, entered her home and confronted her when she was in the shower. Hi informed her that he was about to kill her. However, her scream was heard by Ben Lofland, a friend who was in another part of the house. Ben rushed to her and took Starks by surprise. Starks wounded Ben and fled the house.

Dodge is a no nonesense, chain smoking tough guy in the Clint Eastwood-Dirty Harry image. He begins working with a local deputy, Sky Nyland, an Afghanistan War vet.

As the men search, Starks goes on a rampage. He kills a number of people and police find the body of another co-worker who also had problems with Starks.

I wanted to like this novel more but found the characters sterertypical. Other than Ski Nyland, I found no interesting or sympathetic characters. As I got to know Berry, I found her a liar and someone who would do what she could go get ahead in business.

Sandra Brown is a legend in mystery writing but this novel disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tough Customer.