Jaime West's Reviews > Where's My Hero?

Where's My Hero? by Lisa Kleypas

Dec 15, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: books-i-own
Read from April 02 to 04, 2011

Lisa Kleypas - Lydia Craven and Dr Jake Linley
Kinley Mac Gregor - Kenna and Simon
Julia Quinn - Lydia, Charlotte and Edward Blydon aka Ned

Reading these three short stories is a great way of getting introduced to different Authors and their writing styles. I have previously read these Authors before, but I wasn't able to note the differences between them until now.

Kleypas - story has conflict, and confrontation, the heroine always has a back bone, she isn't bossy or in your face but she certainly does not bend over like a wilted flower. Her two characters don't always fall in love under the normal circumstances. In this case, Lydia Craven (Derek and Sara Craven's eldest daughter) doesn't even realise she's in love, she thinks she despises Dr Linley. He is always arguing with her and she feels her pride damaged when she overhears him state that he has no interest in her. Therefore, not on the top of her list of fave bachelors.. ahh but trapped in a Wine Cellar forces one to confront the issues simmering beneath the surface. It also allows for some hot ....!!! - have to say, I loved reading about the Cravens again.

MacGregor - the pairing has already occurred and we enter into the story with the two characters, Kenna and Simon, already in love. Everything is roses between the two characters, no issues at all, the only thing standing in their way is the position of Simon's birth. To which he is given an opportunity to prove himself. This clearly turns into something dier and life threatening, but is overcome and they live happily ever after.

Quinn - Ned seems to have proposed to the wrong sister, Lydia Thornton seemed a perfectly 'acceptable' wife for him, as he is 30 now and likes the look of her dowry. Neither one is happy about this upcoming wedding, though. Step in sister Charlotte Thornton, far more level headed and delightful, she isn't ridiculous and detests poetry. Complete opposite to Lydia. uh oh.. The wedding is 3 days away how do you fix that one?? Well Lydia wants to elope with her poetry lover and Charlotte begrudgingly agrees to help, trying her best to lessen the blow to the Groom, Ned, who she has grown to care for and respects.
Busted, caught trying to walk out. There is some juicy conflict, but I couldn't get over the fact that Lydia is more than happy to just leave her sister Charlotte to her growling mad jilted groom, knowing he has demanded that Charlotte marry him instead... what a sister..

Each story is very short, but Quinn has a lot of humour in her writing and Kleypas all the sexual tension, MacGregor I felt, was the weak one of the three..

But each to their own..
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where's My Hero?.

04/03/2011 page 115