Amy A's Reviews > Venom

F 50x66
Jan 25, 2011

bookshelves: elemental-assassin
Read from January 23 to 24, 2011

I am pleasantly surprised by how much I like this series. For me, this was a series that I found on the "people who liked this book, liked these books". I am very particular about the Urban Fantasy / Paranormal Romance books that I read becuase I do know that they can all start to mesh together if you start reading authors who aren't as original as others. Usually before I start a series I will read reviews about the books, I will look at the author's webpage, just to make sure that I will be reading the best by my standards.

I am really happy that I gave this series a chance. I like reading about a strong-willed heroine who doesn't wallow in her own self pity, but is deidcated to making sure that the people she loves are safe.

So far, in the series, I believe only a few months have initially passed from the first novel to this novel, with only a couple weeks / months at a time passing between novels. Taken in that context it seems that a lot is happening in a short amount of time in this world. This book really starts off I guess the downhill slide to the main confrontation that has been eluded to since the first novel. Gin's confrontation with the Fire Elemental that murdered her family (Mab Monroe). I think that Jennifer Estep handles that pacing very well, there's not too much filler in regards to the actual story. Besides the first novel (where introductions / world set up are required) every little action that has taken place will have a reaction in regards to the ending.

The plot here is in the same vein as the last novel, unlike the first novel, this is not a mystery we know who the targeted bad guy is, the only difference is that he is in Mab's close circle. So we keep inching our way towards that final goal. We get to finally find out the complete story of the night Gin was tortured and her family murdered. I don't really see how there will be any new revelations about the night in question, but there can always be a surprise.

Gin's little sister Bria finally makes her debut as an acutal character. She takes the place of Donovan Caine, whom is not missed at all in this book, and really could have left after book 1. Bria is just like Caine in her dedication and uncorruptability in the police force, but where he was so torn between a definative right or wrong in a sitaution, Bria seems to accept the shades of gray that pop up. I admit she was a little annoying with how she kept trying to get information from Roslyn & Gin about their attacks (for lack of a better word). I think it was only annoying to me because it seemed to be keeping Gin from taking care of the situation, but I know she was doing her job and she was doing the right thing.

Owen Grayson. What can I say about him, except Thank You! Thank You Jennifer Estep for giving Gin a love interest that didn't want to punish himself just for looking at her. I am excited to see how he is able to handle himself now that he's aligned with Gin in stopping Mab. He character also did something important (for me at least) he showed that yes Mab has been responsible for other people's / family's misfortunes over the years not just Gin. At first we identify with Gin because we knew her story personally. We know that Mab has hurt others, but to say "she hurt other people" and to hear in detail Gin's story it sometimes gets pushed to the side that others have suffered because of her as well. Owen kind of brings that to the foreground. Again, we get another (not as detailed as Gin's) story about how Mab has hurt another family. So we get to see that maybe no one would be opposed to Mab being destroyed.

Besides all the new information we learn in this book it's still nice to see that she is remaining true to her character's actions. I love the relationship between Finn and Gin. In the beginning when he is picking Gin up after being beaten by Eliot Slater he directly states "She's my sister" and I think the perfectly sums up them. I hope that Jennifer Estpe will not spin us 180 and suddenly decide these two need to be together together. I think it's funny how they (at least once in every novel so far) state that they did once hook up before they knew any better.

I like the picture that is painted about the family Gin has formed with Finn and the Devereaux sisters. You don't have to be blood realted to care about somebody above all else.

Well with all that said, I am highly looking forward to the next 2 books in the series coming out this year. I know that Jennifer Estep is contracted through 5 and this story arc will end at 5. I am interested to see if she will go on from there or leave it at what it is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Venom.

01/24/2011 page 193
50.0% "Really love this series. Even though the main story arc is obvious (revenge on Mab) I like how subtle the other mysteries are. I like reading about strong female characters and Gin certainly fits that bill."
01/24/2011 page 248
64.0% "I would like to see more of Owen Grayson please!!"
show 1 hidden update…