Lyndsey's Reviews > Runaways, Vol. 1: Pride and Joy

Runaways, Vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughan

Dec 15, 10

bookshelves: reviewed-2010, reviewed-4-stars, graphic-novels, my-top-graphic-novels
Read in December, 2010

This is basically the quintessential teen comic. What teen wouldn't love to discover that their parents are actually evil, confirming all the natural suspicions that come at that age?

Well, enter the Runaways. A group of kids who's parents meet in secret at regular intervals throughout the years. These supervillian adults, who call themselves The Pride, keep a not-secret-enough hidden passageway, where they clad themselves in tights and leather and are discovered by their adolescent children in the midst of sacrificing a young girl.

Each character is distinct and memorable in their own way and it seems there may be a couple budding romances and many, many family secrets to be discovered. One involving a telepathic velociraptor! SCORE!

It's a quick and easy read, with many more, presumably and hopefully just-as-good if not better, volumes to come. Including one written by Joss Whedon! Hell to the yeah!

I usually like more intense graphic novels, but I must have been in the mood for a lighter read. It was fun and slightly fluffy, but who can't use a little fluff every once in a while?

I am very much looking forward to reading the sequels (and gazing at the pretty pictures). Actually, the art isn't breath-taking, but I dare say it's "cute", which is most likely what the publishers were going for with the intended age group.

Oh, the rights have optioned for a movie as well. It's a shame they aren't doing a tv series though, especially with the coming absence of Smallville. :(

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Runaways, Vol. 1.