Lora's Reviews > Unearthly

Jun 28, 11

bookshelves: g-ya-angels, series-still-follow
Recommended for: anyone looking for a GOOD YA paranormal series
Read from January 23 to 25, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Clara Gardner is a Quartarious angel-blood. This means that one quarter of her blood is that of an angel's. This gives her wings that she's not yet learned how to use and abilities that are still developing. Lately strange visions of a mysterious boy and fire have been plaguing her, and that's just one aspect in the myriad of things she's yet to understand about her place on this earth. Believing that these visions are tied to her "purpose"---the one thing all angel-bloods are charged with accomplishing while on this earth---she goes in search of this unknown boy with her family and this leads her to Teton County, Wyoming, the place where she believes she'll find her charge and fulfill her purpose.

I'd have to say that one of my favorite things about Unearthly is its writing. For being a debut author, Ms. Hand sure knows her craft. Normally authors get better with time and experience, but Ms. Hand writes as if she's been doing it for years. Despite the fact that Unearthly is over four hundred pages, I managed to read it effortlessly within the span of forty-eight hours (Need I mention that I'm not a very fast reader?); I'd say that Unearthly's intriguing plot and witty dialogue had something to do with this.

But the writing isn't the only thing Unearthly has going for it. The characters are very smart, funny, and likable, as well. I'm very particular when it comes to female characters, but Clara may very well end up being one of my favorites of the year. I know that may seem overkill since this is only January, but, as I said, the heroines of the novels I read are usually the most unsatisfactory and least intriguing aspect for me. Fortunately, that was not the case with Unearthly: Clara is smart, sarcastic, and confident; yet, because of the weight that is on her shoulders, she has a certain level of insecurity that I found quite endearing. It's safe to say that I was very impressed with her character. Her only flaw was her almost instantaneous attraction to Christian. While I do understand that he's supposed to be the one she has to save, I didn't understand why this means that she's destined to be with him.

Which brings me to one of my only problems with this novel: Christian. I realize that he is needed for the love triangle, but the boy is completely flat. In my opinion, he has no real character or personality whatsoever. And it's not until over two hundred and fifty pages into the novel that his character has to leave and go to New York for the summer. I have to say that this fact had me jumping up and down (metaphorically). Because this fact made way for Tucker, a character who you only get to see a few glimpses of until this point in the novel. And it also gives Clara a chance to really see Tucker for whom he really is: the boy she's been overlooking this whole time. There's a specific passage that I'd like to share with you where Clara realizes this:

"What do you see in a guy like Christian Prescott?" he asked me that night when he dropped me off from prom. And what he was really saying then, what would have come through loud and clear if I hadn't been so blind was, Why don't you see me?"

This quote is one of my favorites because, well, for obvious reasons: it marks the start of when things really start to get series between Clara and Tucker.

Another thing that I really liked about this novel is that the romance aspect isn't rushed like in most YA novels you read today. Clara and Tucker actually spend time getting to know one another before declaring their feelings for each other. I was very glad to see this because quite frankly I'm beginning to feel a little jaded with all of the instant love declarations being writen in YA literature today.

As I said before, I loved Clara's character, but I believe that Tucker was my favorite. He's got the perfect mix of wit and boyish charm to make any girl swoon. And I also loved the fact that in this novel it's the girl who has the supernatural qualities. This book reminds you that it doesn't take special abilites or brooding to make a male character intriguing. Tucker's just himself and I loved him for that.

Well, I could go on and on about my feelings for this novel, but my suggestion for you is to stop reading this and go buy Unearthly and read it if you haven't already. Because, in the plethora of angel themed YA novels being published, Unearthly not only stands out but it ranks at the top.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unearthly.

01/23/2011 page 108
01/24/2011 page 271
62.0% 1 comment
01/25/2011 page 380
87.0% "I am LOVING Tucker! And I'm also hoping to finish this tonight. ;)" 1 comment

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jessica Happy reading, Lora! I hope you'll like it :)

Eileen Waiting eagerly for you to finish it and read your review!

message 3: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Great review, and I agree, Christian was... well, there.

~Tina~ That's a great great quote Lora! Awesome review!

message 5: by Brooke (new) - added it

Brooke Hmm, I think I may just have to pick this one up :o) Great review!

message 6: by Kristy (new) - added it

Kristy I've got to get this one!!! I don't think I've seen a "Bad" review yet!

message 7: by Lora (last edited Jan 26, 2011 03:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lora @ Kim
LMAO EXACTLY!

@ Tina
Thanks! Yep, I loved that quote.

@ Brooke & Kristy
Get this and I promise you won't regret it. :)

message 8: by Arlene (new)

Arlene You make me want to read this now! Beautiful review Lora. I just wish I didn't have around 60 books that I must read tomorrow on my list. :p

message 9: by Kristy (new) - added it

Kristy I'm in the same boat Arlene!!!

Eileen I'm really liking your review, thanks for writing it. I'm certainly going to read this book!

message 11: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Tucker ~swoons~. So glad you enjoyed it and an awesome review :)

Jessica Awesome review, Lora! :)

message 13: by Romy (new) - added it

Romy This sounds really great, I'm going to go and pick myself up a copy, fab review Lora :)

message 14: by Wendy F (last edited Aug 15, 2011 09:55AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wendy F Great review!

Well said! Christian was the only character I wasn't really intersted in too. The only thing that made him remotely interesting was the fact that he seemed to honestly love Kay.

Ronyell Awesome review Lora! I agree that I loved the way that Tucker and Clara's relationship with each other was so natural!

message 16: by Katharine (new) - added it

Katharine Rees Is unearthly appropriate for a thirteen year old?

message 17: by Lora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lora Katharine wrote: "Is unearthly appropriate for a thirteen year old?"

From what I remember of it, it isn't graphic in terms of violence or anything like that. It has a romance in it, but there is no sex in it and, to the best of my memory, the kissing scenes and whatnot aren't explicit.